can someone confirm this passlock bypass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pcguy760 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

Will going thru the forums looking for info on the Passlock 1 bypass for our 97 Cavalier I found this ...

"here's a little trick for ya-it will permanently bypass passlock I

with the lower dash and steering column shroud removed, locate the passlock wires coming off the ignition.  depending on the situation you could have three black wires with various stripes or one black, one yellow, and one white.  the wire you need is the yellow(or the black that shows the key's voltage)

after starting the vehicle w/ the key, wait for all of the signals and indicators in the instrument cluster to go out. (hold the door pin if you have to). now simply cut the yellow wire.  booya!

that's what you call a "no-fault start" bypass.

now, you wont have any problems w/ passlock preventing start.  if you want to disable theft light you will have to wire in a resistor.

just so you all know, i have used this on gm's as late as 2004, so passlock I, II, and III can be bypassed like this"

So can I get a confirmation that this would work and I will not have any problems at all with this method? I am aware of the Theft light staying on so that is okay with me because I want to change the gauges to some custom ones in a month so I will disconnect that theft light then...Thanks!!

Mo

wlmpwlmp 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

i have done this on a malibu and it works perfectly! but if the battery goes dead the anti theftt will kick back in so , so wire that cut yellow wire to a toggle  switch somewhere down under the dash so if  you need re activate the antitheft so to speak you can do it easily without taking the dash all apart. what i mean by antitheft will kick back in to clarify is if you remove the battery or it goes completely dead the car will no longer be in failsafe mode so if you go to start the car while the yellow is cut it will lock you out for the i think 10 min time out, and will keep locking you out until the yellow wire is restored, so if you have a toggle wired for this situation you you ber up in running in all of 5 seconds. when you do this the antitheft light will be on all the time while the car is running indicating the antitheft is in failsafe mode if this bugs you put some electrical tape over the light or pull the bulb from the cluster. i must mention im not the hacker that does this all the time, my bud got told by dealer his ignition was buggering up and he had to by a new one because every now and then his car would lock him out for no reason and he would have to wait his 10 or 20 mins and try again and the car would start fine. now since i did this fix for him for the cost of a toggle his car has been awesome!! dealer quote i think was $400 for the new ignition. i hope this clarifys for ya.

WesMan
pcguy760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

Damn thanx for the info and the interesting story!! Yeah your idea of the (hidden) toggle switch sounds good and this is the way I will do it then. So is the wire yellow as well or our 97 Cavalier or is it a different color? Does anyone know - Thanks!

Mo

wlmpwlmp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
on gm CARS the data wire(the one to cut while the car is running ) is yellow!! you will know if you have the right wire because the theftlight will turn on as soon as the wire is cut.
WesMan
wlmpwlmp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

more to that last post, your car is going to have a black, yellow , and a white as did that malibu i told you about. go ahead and cut that yellow wire, it'll feel good!! make sure the car running when you do it! and remeber if something dont go right all you got to do is re-connect that wire to put it back to normal!! if you want to test before you cut , the data wire(the yellow)will show between 1 to 6 volts when running. the black is just a ground. the white is not involved with the bypass, it just feeds the check bulb in the dash i believe.

WesMan
dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
why go through all that trouble when you can get a bypass module? Heh you wouldn't have to wire up a switch. It'l save you time money and a headache. Just thought i'de give my input. Word
"dont ground out!"
wlmpwlmp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
toggle switch maybe $2, bypass cheapest say $20, time to install toggle same as the bypass, actually less time, way less time!
WesMan
wlmpwlmp 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
another thing with the toggle is ever see the bypass fail? it sucks when 2 resistences get sent and the car wont even start by key. with the toggle this dont happen.
WesMan
pcguy760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

Eh, wlmp, I am totally down with the toggle switch cos I have a bunch of em laying around in all shapes and size hehehe - thats what I get for being an audio enthusiast / installer as well :). Now let me go find one that looks pretty in the cavy dash and have it ready hehe... btw thanx for the info on the wire - I am trying to get the alarm in asap but it's raining now - bummer...

Regards and Happy Thanxgiving :)

Mo

techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
Well thats all fine and dandy to do this to a personal vehicle but to a customers car? I think you would not be thought of as a "professional installer" for very long if you did that type of mickey mouse crap. I think that a bypass will save you in the long run from looking like a total jackass while maintaining the integrity of the customers anti theft system.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic