icon

ford ranger electrical system malfunction

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
squatch66 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

hey all this is kind of a weird problem im having.  i have a 96 ford ranger extended cab 4 cylinder.  i left my door cracked open one day and the chime drained the battery.  the battery must have been pretty weak but i did leave the door cracked for about 12 to 14 hours.  i was able to get the battery jumped off and didnt have another problem until one day i went to start the truck and it was dead.  i had a friend come out to help me jump off my truck and when we hooked up the cables to the batteries the battery in my truck started to make loud popping sounds and a wire on the right side of the cab started to smoke really badly like it was about to start an electrical fire.  this all happened in a span of about 5 to 10 seconds as long as it took me to get the cables disconnected.  i called my friend who is a mechanic and he said that it was either that i had the connections backwards or that the battery was about to explode.  my friend said that he looked at the connections when i made them and they were right so it was kind of scary that the battery could have exploded in my face.  when i went to take the battery out of the truck the ground cable on the battery was in pretty bad shape.  the terminal was so corroded that it basically disintegrated when i tried to get the terminal disconnected.  i had to cut the cables and put new terminals onto the new battery and the truck has run ok ever since.  the problem that i have is that the radio has never worked since then.  i thought that the radio had a fuse on the back of it and that it was blown so i never thought much of it i just never pulled the radio to see.  i found a clarion drx8575z cd player from my old car and decided to install it into my truck.  i bought the appropriate dash install kit and wiring harness and soldered the wires together.  i made sure that all the proper wires are soldered together according to the instructions included with the wiring harness and the wiring schematic from clarion.  i went to put the stereo in my truck and i have nothing.  i have checked all the fuses in the box on both the side of the dash and the box under the hood.  i dont know if there was some wiring damage from when the battery almost exploded.  there is some charred wiring on the right side of the dash right next to what im told is the fusible link.  i have uploaded some pics to try to show what was damaged and where everything is located.  sorry to be so wordy but i wanted to be as descriptive as possible.  any help would be GREATLY appreciated. 

right side of the engine bay.

ford ranger electrical system malfunction -- posted image.

i tried to zoom in to show the charred wire but its really blurry.  if you can take anything from it then let me know.

ford ranger electrical system malfunction -- posted image.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

You need to get a volt meter and verify you have your red, yellow, and black wires hooked up correctly.  If there isn't voltage between the black and red wires and the black and yellow wires then the radio isn't going to work.

Once you discover what you are missing you can figure out why you don't have it.

Kevin Pierson
squatch66 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
are you saying i need to check the stereo wiring when i have the harnesses connected or to check the factory wiring?
KPierson 
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
I would check them right at the radio, if it were me.
Kevin Pierson
squatch66 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
kevin i appreciate the advice but now its time to sound like a pet monkey.  how do i check them at the radio?  to i connect everything and put a voltmeter up to the wiring harness or do i have to strip back some wire and do it there?
KPierson 
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
It depends - use whatever method works!  If you can fit your test probes in to the harness that is fine, but you may have to strip some insulation back.
Kevin Pierson
squatch66 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

ok i hooked everything up and checked for power at the point where the harness for the cd player and the factory harness connect.  i have nothing.  fuses are good and i cant see where the wiring goes so i am having a hard time tracking down where the wiring goes into the firewall.  it gets even worse under the hood.

squatch66 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
one other question.  on this clarion wiring harness there are two power wires.  one has a 15 amp fuse and the other is a 3 amp fuse.  i used the thicker power wire with the 15 amp fuse.  was this the one to use?
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
Most radios require a 12v+ constant source or memory wire and an accessory 12v+ switched with ignition. Ground is obvious, to complete the circuit.
If you have to, rewire directly to battery and use between 14 to 12 awg wire with a fuse inline. For accessory, use ignition GREEN/ purple in     ignition switch harness with 16 awg wire is ok, also with an inline fuse. Ground the radio at a solid ground point that has the least amount of resistance using the same gauge wire as on the constant memory wire.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
KPierson 
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, you will most likely need to hook both of them up (to seperate sources for it to work right). 

It sounds like you may be in over your head - I would sugguest taking it to a shop where they can install the radio correctly and safely - without the risk of damaging the truck more then it already is!

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic