icon

sound deadening, only for a quite ride?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kolk1 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, my womans dad has a 02 Focus that he uses to drive to work and back. He hates the amount of road noise it has. Would there be any difference in where, and how much sound deadening to apply?
I get Dynamat extreme at cost, but the biggest pack I can get is the 12sqft 2 door kit. This is a 4 door focus, so im thinking 2 of the 2 door kits for the doors, and 2 of the 2 door kits for the floor. For a total of 48sqft. Nothing in the trunk. Stereo in this car is rarely used, so this is only to lower the amount of road noise.
Should I evenly apply the dynamat to the skin and frame of the door, and evenly apply the other 24 sqft to the floor?
Or concentrate on the skins of the door, and floor, go light on the door frames?
Whats your idea? Im also kinda thinking possibly 5 total boxes, so I can do a total of 24sqft on the 4 doors, and 36sqft on the floor.
Give me your ideas, what areas would you concentrate on for the quietest ride, with not giving a crap about audio concerns.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
I may first have the car undercoated with some sound deadening spray. Then see if it needs any extra on the inside.
Illinois undercoating and rust proofing
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
kolk1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
I doubt I can have somebody spray the underside of the car for under $200. Also, closest spot on that list is about 3 hours away that I noticed.
rudydapimp 
Copper - Posts: 390
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
check out edead. I have been very surprised with the change in road noise in a few customers cars I have put it in.
and you buy it by the square foot, actually pretty cheap, like a buck a foot or 1.50
Check out the Rolls
kolk1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, again. How would you disperse it?
Im using dynamat since I get it at cost. Even with the cheapest Edead, if they charge shipping, is not cheaper than my cost of dynamat extreme. Im not asking what to use, im asking how would you disperse it?
techman93 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
If you apply dynamat, you don't have to cover the entire area. Strips placed every couple inches apart should reduce road noise pretty well. Use a roller to apply to get as much to adhere to surface of the floor under the carpet. Remove seats and trim to get carpet to come out all at the same time. As much work as it is, it makes application a lot easier.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
kolk1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I plan to pull out all the carpet, seats, door panels, so on. Clean the whole car, then apply.
Ive done TONS of cars with dynamat, but always for Audio purposes. Just seeing if for road noise, should I concentrate more on floor, or more on the doors?
techman93 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Majority to the floor. You may not need any in doors. Try floor first and then if needed apply later in doors. I would think floors will take care of most noise. Some you can't avoid due to windows not being sound proof.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
I'd definitely do the doors and the floor. The doors let in a lot of sound too if they aren't damped. Its like the difference of closing a door to a nice Lexus compared to your focus...you can even hear the difference
metalface427 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2007 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
im not an expert but here is what i did to my floor & hatchback area(2 layers damp pro and in some places 3 layers,5 gallons of liquid sound deadening,and closed cell foam).this went in a mustang with flowmaster w/turndowns and no cats. another added bonus the carpet im purchasing from ACC will have mass backing on it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic