icon

ported/vented box for 2 kenwood kfc w3011

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bw40584 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

Will someone please tell me if what I am thinking is right or wrong please.  At the end of the message above I meant to say (WITHIN 3 db of it well...right?)

I read the contents section on the winISD help section.  It did not say anything about having a peak will make the sub not sound good.  It only said that anything that dips below the -3db line, the sub box will not play very well and will be at half volume.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
the red line isn't really "normal"
Its just a relative point. Depending on the enclosure design the system could do 100db with one watt or 50db with one watt...a lot of variables.
The sub will still play frequencies below the red line...you will still hear and feel them...I had a box that had a f3 of around 40 and I could still hear and feel 30Hz...it just wasn't as loud
bw40584 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks.  Could you explain to me about the peakiness, and how/why it would make my system not sound good with a 6db peak at 60-70Hz because I just don't see why it wouldn't sound good just because of that.

Also, could someone tell me what kind of subsonic filter I should get for this setup and where to get one.  Thanks.

Driver            : KFC-W3011

Vas : 26.6
                    Qts : 1.09
                    Fs : 45.00
                    SPL : 90.00
--
Project by        : Brad
Project for       : you
--
Number of drivers : 1
Box type          : Vented
Box size          : 2.140 ft^3
Tuning frequency  : 35.00 Hz
Vent              : 2 vent(s)
                    8.06 in length for each                                           
                    2.50 in round
 *edit*         MACH: (0.07)                                        

Relative                                      
Freq         Gain         SPL                              
[Hz]         [dB]         [dB]                             
20.00        -17.76       72.24                            
25.00        -6.34        83.66                            
30.00        -0.36        89.64                            
35.00        0.92         90.92                            
40.00        2.20         92.20                            
45.00        3.72         93.72                            
50.00        5.07         95.07                            
55.00        5.93         95.93                            
60.00        6.17         96.17                            
65.00        5.95         95.95                            
70.00        5.50         95.50                            
75.00        4.97         94.97                            
80.00        4.46         94.46                            
85.00        4.00         94.00                            
90.00        3.59         93.59                            
95.00        3.23         93.23                            
100.00       2.92         92.92                            

Driver            : KFC-W3011

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
it may not sound good to some...some people have different tastes in music.
Some people want a flat response with no peaks...some want a smooth peak for higher output. It really depends on the person.
I usually shoot for a smooth peak with an F3 around 30hz
bw40584 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks man.  Would you consider this to be a "smooth peak?"  Can anyone answer the subsonic filter question?

Thanks

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  

With a Qts that high these woofers should work better in IB alignment than in any sort of vented system.  Like was said EARLY in this thread, I'd use it sealed.  But if the numbers you keep posting are correct, you do not have a +6db peak, you have about a +3db elongated peak around 60Hz.  Your enclosure model looks something like this:

ported/vented box for 2 kenwood kfc w3011 - Page 4 -- posted image.

This system will sound really boomy although since the peak is centered on the approximate resonant frequency of most passenger cars, it should seem pretty loud.  It will not be very musical since it will be approx. twice as loud at 60Hz as it will be at 40 or 80 Hz.  Subsonic filters should be set at or just below the tuning frequency of a vented enclosure, so set yours to 35Hz.

Support the12volt.com
bw40584 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks DYohn!  The way I see it, is...how much "music" are you going to get out of a 12" subwoofer anyway?  Right now I have both of them in sealed hatchback 1.4 boxe(s) stuffed with 1.25lbs of polyfill each.  They sound very good, but I want louder and lower bass hits from the subs then what I am getting right now.  On all the rock songs and stuff, they don't miss a beat.  But, on some rap songs, you can tell they are not hitting everything.  I bought these subs in haste, and am now stuck with them.  But, they are not bad subs at all really.  But if I had not have bought them before knowing what I do now, I would by the Kicker CVR 2 ohm 12".  I do not have a subsonic filter on my amp.  I have been looking around and all I can find are the FMODs.  I think a 30Hz high pass would do because they only have a 20, 30, and 50, etc... How many would I need for two subs....2 packages of 2, or Just 1 package of 2?  Do you connect them to the white and red RCA's for each line in?  I am assuming you do, but I don't know.  If I have to buy 2 packs, that will be about $65.  Does anyone know a cheaper route?

I really appreciate everyones help, thanks.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

You get a lot of "music" out of any subwoofer.  That's the whole purpose of using them!  If I owned those subs I'd use them like you already have them until I could afford to purchase something better.

Yes, FMODs are passive line-level filters and you use one set of 2 in line with the RCA signal coming into your sub amp.  There are other options if you want something a little more effective than the FMODs.  I like the HP-SUB from Harrison Labs.

Support the12volt.com
bw40584 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, what I mean is that they're there to boom, that's it.  If they weren't, why would people buy them?  Anyway, I don't know if you are yelling that at me or what because of the exclamation point.  I hope not.  But on those HP-SUBs, do the bypass jacks mean that I could just buy one of those and use it for both of my subs? 

I am planning on building this box to see how they sound before I think about buying new speakers.  If they don't sound good in the box, I will just have a good box for the next 2 subs I buy down the road.

DYohn 
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

bw40584 wrote:
Ok, what I mean is that they're there to boom, that's it. 

ported/vented box for 2 kenwood kfc w3011 - Page 4 -- posted image.

If that's all you want then sure, go ahead and do whatever.  We are trying to help you do something that sounds good, which has nothing to do with boom.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic