separate alarm and rs units problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xemiterx 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2007 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I had an TRC XT-2000 alarm doing nothing in the box for a few years and a Bulldog Security RS-82 remote starter I got as a gift a while ago. Today I decided to put both in my 1998 Plymouth Breeze. Both are working fine, however, they don't work right together. With the alarm armed I press the Start button on the RS and the alarm trips.
There is a "Factory Alarm Shut Down Wire (-)" on the RS unit. Can I use that somehow to keep from tripping the alarm when I use the RS? Thanks.
Robert
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2007 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, if the alarm has a disarm input wire.
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2007 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  

It'll be easier for you to get a combo unit (alarm/remote start) -- however, if you do not have a disarm (-) input wireo n the Alarm brain, then you'll have to create a relay using the ground-while-running (i.e. status output wire (-) ) off the r/s brain to trip a relay to disconnect the ignition input to the alarm (i.e. defeat the alarm ignition sensing while remote starting only).  However, if you have a shock sensor on the alarm, you'll have more difficulty defeating this as well -- i don't know if a relay will work to defeat this.

The search function is your friend.
xemiterx 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2007 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE]Yes, if the alarm has a disarm input wire.[/QUOTE]
It does not.
[QUOTE]It'll be easier for you to get a combo unit (alarm/remote start) -- however, if you do not have a disarm (-) input wire on the Alarm brain, then you'll have to create a relay using the ground-while-running (i.e. status output wire (-) ) off the r/s brain to trip a relay to disconnect the ignition input to the alarm (i.e. defeat the alarm ignition sensing while remote starting only). However, if you have a shock sensor on the alarm, you'll have more difficulty defeating this as well -- i don't know if a relay will work to defeat this.[QUOTE]
It's a cheap car, I wanted to use what I had and not spend money on a combo unit. I did not use the shock sensor, I find them annoying. Is this how I would use a relay to do what I need?
(+12v)-----85    86-----(Shutdown on RS -)
(ignition)-----30    87a-----(Alarm)
87-(unused)
So when the RS is activated it provides a ground for the relay which breaks the connection of the ignition to the alarm. Would a diode be needed? Thanks.
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2007 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  

86 = ground-while-running wire (aka status output wire) (-)

But, yes, you have the relay correct -- no diode needed.  Make sure and check to see if the alarm also does accessory-power sensing .. if so, you'll need another relay as above to defeat the accessory sensing.

The search function is your friend.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic