fried amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mike_betters 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2007 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Hello,
Yesterday, I took my system out of my truck to put into my car. I wired everything up and tested it, it worked great. So I put the rest of my interior back in and now my amp wont come on. Sometimes the power light will flash for a second. I checked all the fuses, all the wiring, EVERYTHING. I dont not know why it wont come on, its not receiving power at all. So I checked the voltage coming from the power wire, and it drops from 12 to 1 once I turn the key. Any ideas? Thanks
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2007 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
Where did you power it from?  Where did you ground the amp?
Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2007 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
What brand and model?
There is no such thing as free installation!
mike_betters 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2007 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
I powered it straight from my battery with 4 gauge wire and grounded it to somewhere in my trunk, everything good, it was working fine before, then it just stopped. The amp is some lightning audio one, haha from walmart, thats why I expected it to just be junk.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2007 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
If you have a gold AGU fuse at the battery, change it.   Gold or not change it. or check it with a meter.  Don't just look at it   I know it probably looks fine.
ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2007 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, I would be looking at fuse. check for 12V on the batery side with the key on, & then on the other side of it.
used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
donpisto 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

Not sure if I'm understanding this correctly  but you ran your ground from the trunk all the way to the amp that is by the battery in the front? If so, ground has to be shorter. Look for a location under the hood, you will find many grounds there or just use the battery negative as a ground.  Did you hook your power and remote wire to the battery positive?

As far as gold plated fuses, i dont see how that has anything to do with the problem.

ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

donpisto,

it's not the gold plated fuses, its the AGU style. What happens it the ends of it get corroded & even though it looks good, it will not flow the amperage like it should. I actually hate using those fuses anymore, as it is almost a guarantee that the car will come back in need of the fuse in the future.

used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
Could these fuses allow full current flow, but add alternator whine 'cause they're bad?
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

JMelton     No they can not cause alternator whine. 

Donpisto    the gold is not the problem, the broblem is the Bling factor.  We can put some gold on here and make it look good.  Yeah lets spend some money on the gold and cut costs where it matters.  Hence the soldering of the endcaps to the actual fuse element.   These things fail A LOT. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic