icon

new head unit?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

a couple of months ago I finnished up a $25K+ system with the 8019 as the head unit, & all I can say is F'in BAD! I am a Pioneer guy at heart, but that Kenwood really impressed me. I am with y'all on the uber ugly Eclipse units.......

I wish I could search the net from my work computer here, but I thought Nak (nakamichi....I always spell it wrong) was supposed to come out with a DD?

used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
And yes Mr. Yohn, Bob carries major "Wood".

I hoped you'd catch that.  new head unit? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
Well Mr. D... I'll not be 'Pine-ing for your 'Wood! BWAHAHAHA
Never really been a fan of the Kenwood stuff, and as of right now, the Alpine is the strongest of the runners. I love the fact that it also plays DVD-Audio, (of which, I own quite a few... and will buy more, eventually) which I didn't see on ANY of the other units. Good upgrade path, as well... I'll be able to add toys as the need (and the funds) arises.
Nak DOES have a DD unit, (and all of their stuff is 24-bit), but it's not available in the US.
Clarion has no DD units, I looked there as one of the first runners, as I know that Clarion's top shelf stuff was, indeed, TOP shelf.
Eclipse does have DD units, but I really lean towards the phrase "b-u-t-t ugly"; possibly "fugly" fits here as well. Too bad.
Would I look to any Pioneer dealer around my home to check on that package dealie-o? 1 kilobuck is about what I was looking to spend, even though less would be better.
Dual had a good looking piece. (Just checking to see if anybody's still listening... LOL)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

yeah, Dual HU, RockWood amp, & soundstorm speakers woo hoo, sounds like a painfull listening experience to me.

hehe...ave yer homeboi chrow it ins da whip

customer actually said that to me, I just kinda got the deer in the headlights look....I remember when people were confused by the use of  "cool" lol

used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
So... Bob? You got that Alpine piece in stock? I might be over there this weekend to pick it up...
Pretty sure I like that one the best!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
Yes I do. Just to make sure they are not all gone I'll order another master carton. Fish tacos Saturday! Yesssss!
There is no such thing as free installation!
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Dual had a good looking piece. (Just checking to see if anybody's still listening... LOL)

It's only 400 bucks, too!!!new head unit? - Page 2 -- posted image.

I think you're right with the Alpine unit, -You know, it really shocked my to see that you would actually allow Mp3s to be played through your system! Of all the features haemphyst would require...

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
haemphyst 
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
tcss wrote:
Yes I do. Just to make sure they are not all gone I'll order another master carton. Fish tacos Saturday! Yesssss!
I gotta bring a different lunch! I think I'm getting too predictable!
jmelton86 wrote:
haemphyst wrote:
It's only 400 bucks, too!!!new head unit? - Page 2 -- posted image.
I think you're right with the Alpine unit, -You know, it really shocked my to see that you would actually allow Mp3s to be played through your system! Of all the features haemphyst would require...
Didn't say I REQUIRED that "feature"... new head unit? - Page 2 -- posted image. Just said it'd be nice. No, I won't be playing many MP3's, hell, even my "MP3 Player" only has .wav files on it!
On a completely unrelated side note... this is what "Idol" gets you! LOL. What a joke. Crap music, with even WORSE recording values! I wish I wasn't such a snob, sometimes!
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
The Pioneer units properly installed have no problems.  It is only when the first step of any installation instruction is not followed. 

There is one issue I've seen several times.  Pioneer uses a small resistor in-line on the accessory wire to get rid of any spikes from the vehicle.  However the resistor they use is too small and many times opens, not allowing the CD player to work.  This IMO is an example of poor engineering or cheapness as all they had to do was use a higher powered resistor.  The other known problem is when the center pin in the RCA gets grounded and blows the ground trace inside the head unit.  Again this is an example of poor engineering IMO, but of course can be avoided by removing the battery ground as you suggest.  These problems have jaded my view of Pioneer.  Other than that I do think their players are a great bang for the buck.  I think they have one of the best multi-disk in dash designs available in their now unfortunately discontinued 6800.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2007 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
I agree that the new Eclipse single din units look like bat barf. The double din units though I think are really nice and you need to see one in person.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic