icon

orion 14.4 hcca subs and bandpass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bondo-boy 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
gonna be building a box for a couple orion hcca subs and need specs for a bandpass box ,the only reason is i will be making a port from bed to cab exeting through rear seat armrest hole .the hole max is around 8inches by 10 inches .its a brand new f150 so the guy dont want a big blowthrough ,ive never built any bandpasses ,so i was wundering 1 bandpass box ,2 subs,1 port can anyone design something like that for 2 orion 15 on the 5000 watt amp?ive always built ported boxes or sealed will it sound good if built right ?any  help would be great
bondo-boy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
meant 15.4 duh
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
No. Bandpass boxes ALWAYS sound like shiite. 5kW? On a bandpass enclosure? If that box is not built EXACTLY right, and I do mean E-X-A-C-T-L-Y right - we're talking gnat's asp, here - those woofers are going to last about 10 minutes.
Can those woofers even GO in a bandpass? Not all woofers will do well in that type of enclosure. If dead set on such a beast, choose a cheap woofer with next to no SQ, (think Audiobahn - cheap, and a POS, so you can replace them weekly if necessary) because there won't be any left of even a GOOD woofer once you dump it into any kind of bandpass box.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bondo-boy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
is there anyway to build them in the bed and have the air port through an opening that small and still sound good up for opions(need all air to go inside )
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
I think you (or your "customer"?) need to decide what they want...
Loud? Go with the bandpass. It'll be loud alright, loud, one-note wonder, and flabby. It will give you the small cab entrance option, however.
Sound quality? 1 woofer, inside the cab, with a proper enclosure volume, under the seat, and adequate power driving it.
In the case of a full-size truck, your options are a bit more limited, especially if 1: the seats can't go anywhere, or B: the customer WONT cut a hole. It's tough to get both and close to impossible to get REALLY loud, like I am assuming you are wanting with two 15's and 5kW... How close am I?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bondo-boy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
well i have the bed to build a box,but i only have roughly a 10'x10' hole to carry the sound through,i have the subs and  the power ,i just cant figure out what box i can use and how build the box (bandpass)and run the port inside or make a sealed boxbut kinda downsize the blowthrough port kinda hard to put into words(not make a blowthrough just minimize the size of the hole as if it was a blowthrough.and( vented) i dont really want to , they dont call for ported so any ideas?
haemphyst 
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
If they are a sealed recommendation, you won't be able to put them into a bandpass. End of story. They will destroy themselves, and sound HORRIFIC while doing it!
You are going to have to choose different woofers.
bondo-boy 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

what about the desgn 3rd coast customs did in there truck f150 i have pics but dont know how to upload them check out there sight its what i want to do just a lil smaller port what you think

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic