icon

sub, 2002 jetta

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
afholderman 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Okay I bought a new car yesterday and I was looking to hook up the subwoofer system I just bought for my old car into it. The only problem is the trunk area. The floor in the trunk is covered totally by a soft mat that needs to be removed to access the spare tire, also the floor around the tire is not that large.  I want to retain access to by spare tire, because being stranded in the middle of nowhere is not an experience I really want to have. My main question is whether or not I need to worry about the fact that some of my box will hang over the dead space above the spare tire and not be on solid floor? I was thinking about making a removable subfloor out of mdf to mount the box and amp rack on, but I wanted to know if this would be necessary before I went through all the trouble.
dsmcustomz 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2007 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

You should be just fine... my box goes over the spare tire well so i have my power and ground hooked up to distribution blocks and I keep my allens in the glove box...  that way if I need to I can unhook and pull out in a mtter of 2 minutes... and if all else fails if its raining... i just call a freind with aaa.... free towing lol....

If you cant here it a block away then I didnt do it....
afholderman 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2007 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Haha, I have AAA myself, and incedentally just had to use it last Sunday because I hydroplaned into a curb and flattened my tire (on my old car). The fact that I made my first sub box so that I could access the spare tire saved me a lot of headache, however. Free towing or otherwise, I had already driven a half hour to do some things for my mom, and I would have been mad if I had wasted my time and had to spend the day trying to find a shop open on Sundays to fix my tire.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic