the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

wiring led to door locks?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
12vlost 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, all!!

Thanks again for my last project help,much appreciated.

I'm fitting a couple of central locking actuators and found a diagram on here which works great.

What I'd like to do is connect an LED (flashing) to tell me when the locks are activated,I looked at the  "momentary to constant" relay setup and that will light the LED when I hook the "lock" (-) wire from the alarm,trouble is,how do I arrange the relays to switch it off when its un-locked?

TIAwiring led to door locks? -- posted image.

12vlost 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

wiring led to door locks? -- posted image.

Would this work?

I obviously need to connect the "lock/unlock -" wires to pin 30 on the relay third from the left,would I common these wires?

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

You could, but you'd need to add diodes to the lock and unlock leads.  If you are already using the diagram below, you could add another relay between terminals 30 and 85 of the left relay to break the latch. The main issue with using relays in your application will be the excessive current draw when the vehicle is not running. This could easily cause your vehicle to not start in as little as one day depending on the condition of your vehicle's battery.

wiring led to door locks? -- posted image.

wiring led to door locks? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
One thought that comes to mind is using a magnetic reed switch on each doorlock rod and you'd only have the draw of the LED's. This would indicate when the door(s) are locked whether you used your remote or you manually locked them. Then you could use one relay to open the circuit to the LED's when the ignition is on so it doesn't look like you're driving a stolen vehicle :)
12vlost 
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

Stolen vehicle? wiring led to door locks? -- posted image.

Never considered the power draw off,guess its considerable with all the relays energised?

Probaly the easiest way is to wire the LED to the ignition,so it goes off when the acc comes on?

the12volt 
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

The ignition should provide power to the coil of the relay to open one lead of your LED's. This would prevent the LED's from coming on while you're driving with the doors locked.

85 - to ignition

86  - to ground
87  - not used
87a  - to one side of LED lead
30  - to other side of LED lead

12vlost 
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks bud...

This method will have little drain on the battery?

the12volt 
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

The only draw you'll have when the vehicle is not running will be that of the LED's.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic