s_goodie 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2007 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
what about bandpass boxes make them so special
Stuey BABE
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2007 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
There is nothing special about bandpass enclosures.  They work differently than other alignments, but what specifically makes you ask?
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
Now, come on, DYohn...
You KNOW that bandpass boxes are special in the respect that they can TOTALLY destroy any semblance of quality bass, are perfectly at home hiding woofer distress noises, more than capable of annihilating any woofer if even SLIGHTLY mis-tuned, and just generally sound more like crap than ANY other alignment... TRUE one-note-wonders! What other alignment offers all these features? I'd say that's pretty special! what's special about bandpass boxes? -- posted image.
They do offer very good efficiency, if nothing else.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
Silly me.  Thanks for the assist, haemphyst.  what's special about bandpass boxes? -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Now, come on, DYohn...
You KNOW that bandpass boxes are special in the respect that they can TOTALLY destroy any semblance of quality bass, are perfectly at home hiding woofer distress noises, more than capable of annihilating any woofer if even SLIGHTLY mis-tuned, and just generally sound more like crap than ANY other alignment... TRUE one-note-wonders! What other alignment offers all these features? I'd say that's pretty special! what's special about bandpass boxes? -- posted image.
They do offer very good efficiency, if nothing else.

No, no. It's much simpler than that, they can be found at every swap meet, flea market, and big box store with two 12"s for $50...

wolf56 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
and there bigger/bulkier and a pain in the *** to deal with??? i had my koiiler in one, made it overheat very fast... i do like how they make "crap" subs sound a little louder though... and they look cool and get some oOoOo's and AhHhH's from ppl who dont know better
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, haemphyst I really enjoyed your post I am still laughing what's special about bandpass boxes? -- posted image.
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Back in the day they allowed you to port into a courger rear package tray or any other thin rear package tray without cutting. In a 7th order (ok I haven't counted order since...well a longtime...)you would send one port up for the back wave and one port up for the front wave. Of course each at a different frequency so you would have a 2 note wounder. Now this is back in the eithies/nities and were learning about such things. Now you point the woofer towards the back, leave the grill in place with no speakers and your are done....

The advantage now is to make a highly in-effient speaker sound louder at the sacrofise of fidelity

Did I get it right?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic