icon

7 blown fuses and counting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
15_amp_confused 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

Recently installed a troublesome deck (thanks to these forums) but I ran into another hiccup....

The lights which light up the dash console (speedometer, fuel gauge, etc) no longer work.  I also noticed the clock, which normally dims when you turn on the headlights, turns off completely when I turn on the headlights now.  There was only a wire from the deck labelled Illumination, but none for Dimmer, so the Dimmer wire in the vehicle isnt presently connected to anything. 

I have the illumination from the deck hooked up to the illumination wire in the truck (at least according to the wiring diagram)....would connecting it to the Dimmer wire remedy this?

jlman 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
no the dimmer wire should not be used unless your radio has this feature bc the dimmer wire should be ac voltage not dc voltage like the illumination wire is
just wait till the bass drops
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

jlman wrote:
no the dimmer wire should not be used unless your radio has this feature bc the dimmer wire should be ac voltage not dc voltage like the illumination wire is

The dimmer wire is not AC. It is DC.

15_amp_confused wrote:
The lights which light up the dash console (speedometer, fuel gauge, etc) no longer work.  I also noticed the clock, which normally dims when you turn on the headlights, turns off completely when I turn on the headlights now.  There was only a wire from the deck labelled Illumination, but none for Dimmer, so the Dimmer wire in the vehicle isnt presently connected to anything. 

I have the illumination from the deck hooked up to the illumination wire in the truck (at least according to the wiring diagram)....would connecting it to the Dimmer wire remedy this?

The illumination wire of your head unit should be connected to a lead that only shows 12V+ when the parking/dash lights are on and should not be connected to the vehicle's dimmer wire.

7 blown fuses and counting - Page 2 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  
Have you checked your taillights?  It sounds to me that you may have connected the ground wire of your radio to the Illumination wire of the vehicle.  You probably have a blown fuse.  Sometimes there is a seperate fuse for the instrument cluster and sometimes it is the taillight fuse.  Please check your taillights before driving at night.
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you need to stop while your still ahead and take to a shop to fix what you have messed up befor you really do some damage.
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

dragon51 wrote:
Sounds like you need to stop while your still ahead and take to a shop to fix what you have messed up befor you really do some damage.

You should listen to him, quite while your ahead.  You dontt want to end up shorting out a module in the car.

Cris
15_amp_confused 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2007 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
StealthEs wrote:

dragon51 wrote:

You should listen to him, quite while your ahead.  You dontt want to end up shorting out a module in the car.

If you dont know the answer, feel free to ignore this post.

For those who provided help, thank you once again.  I havent gone back in there to attempt to fix the problem yet, but Ill keep ya'll posted if I am unsuccessful :)

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic