icon

speaker placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

I need to know which of the 2 following scenarios would be the best option. I'm trying to figure out which distances to have my woofers from my ears in contrast to the tweeters.

target="_blank">https://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb103/jmelton86/frstage.jpg

target="_blank">

1. The top pic shows the edges of the tweeter/woofers having the same distance from my ear.

2. The lower pic shows the centers of the tweeter/woofer having the same distance from my ear.

Which would be the best, 1 or 2? The woofer and tweeter on each side will be run off the same channel, so time-correction between them is out, that's why I'm asking this question. Any input?

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
Try them both, see which one you like best. Really without knowing what vehicle you have its hard to say.
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

95' Cavalier 2dr. They will be in the factory front door locations.

I really don't want to have to build 2 separate mounts. I was just wondering if there are any 'theories' out there.

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Well a quick and dirty would be to let a friend hold them or something along those lines. You really wouldnt need to build seperate mounts just to test.
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  

This is much more complex that "A" or"B". Sound is 3D and not nessicarily a linier thing. So get a friend and listen to them both and see witch one sounds better to you.

All things being equal and not considering on axis/ off axis or the car interior, the center of the speakers should be aliened

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
When time-aligning, you will always try to align the voice coil/cone connection point to be equal lengths. Jack is right though, you're best off trying them in all the possible locations. Whatever sounds best to you is what is the best option, BUT if you can't go that way, due to multiple installation mounts (or holes needing to be cut) then ALWAYS, (or really, whenever possible) align with the cone centers equidistant.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
BUT if you can't go that way, due to multiple installation mounts (or holes needing to be cut) then ALWAYS, (or really, whenever possible) align with the cone centers equidistant.

Good save D...Thats what I meant by center speaker placement -- posted image.

jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds good. That's what i'll do.

I probably won't be able to tell a difference between the 2 options, so i'll go with what you think is typically best.

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic