icon

proper frequency adjustment?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
itsmejaytee 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 5:22 AM / IP Logged  
Hi guys, I'm new at this and i apologize for my lack of knowledge with car audio.
I need someone, or something to show me how to properly adjust frequencys for sub amps and an amp for mids and highs
I currently have a kenwood kac-x1r pushing a kicker comp 15"
on the x1r there are ISF BRF and LPF frequency knobs and on off switches. I understand that they have to correspond with each other but i dont know how?
Also for the mids and highs, i have a 4 channel crunch gp4150 pushing infinity references with simply LPF and HPF.
So please some feedback on how to adjust them or even a detailed lesson would be greatly appreciated.
jrod83 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
LPF = Low Pass Filter, HPF = High Pass Filter, im assuming ISF is infrasonic filter. For the sub you would want LPF on. For the mids and highs it all depends if you want all pass or high pass on...high pass will give you a more tweeter-like effect, all pass will give you a louder all around, be careful with that though and make sure your door speakers can handl the RMS you throw at them.
MECP Certified
I am the loudest and proudest member of the Fighting Aggies Class of '11 WHOOP!
SAW 'EM OFF!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

On the Crunch amp 4150, set the HPF at 80 Hz.

On the XTR, set the LPF at 80 Hz.  If the sub box is sealed leave the subsonic filter off.  If the box is vented, set the subsonic to about the box tuning frequency. 

Experimentation and tweaking is always the order of the day when setting crossover filters, but at least you have a basis to start with.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

That Kenwood is a decent amp.  Here's some typical settings for you

"ISF" stands for Infrasonic filter and is also called a "sub-sonic filter."  If your enclosure is ported, turn this ON and set the frequency control to the same as the tuning frequency of the enclosure.  If your enclosure is sealed, turn this OFF.

"BRF" stands for "band reject filter" and is a notch filter.  For typical everyday use, turn this OFF unless you really know how to use it.

"LPF" is "low pass filter" and is the crossover frequency for the subwoofer.  Turn this ON and set the frequency control to between 80hz and 100Hz..  You can play with the frequency until it sounds good to you.  Make sure your subwoofer output from your head unit is turned ON and if it has a subwoofer crossover, turn it off if you can or set it to 120Hz.

Make sure you set your input sensitivity properly (do a search for "setting gain") and turn the bass boost OFF.

You'll also notice that amp has a "Line out filter."  Unless you are daisy-chaining your main amp and your sub amp, this switch does nothing.

For your mains amp, I recommend setting the HPF (high pass filter) ON and setting it to the same frequency setting you used on your subwoofer LPF.

Support the12volt.com
itsmejaytee 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
Wow thanks for the quick responses guys, i really appreciate it. I think i got the gist of it. So pretty much i should match the LPF and HPF on my main to lets say 80 hz? and the LPF for my sub amp to the same? nothing more, nothing less? Simple enough. Thanks again guys!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic