icon

tc sound passive radiator, in a truck?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shagdrum 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  

don' t know much aboutpassive radiator. Saw this link posted in a different thread:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prd/

Very sort explanation then it starts throwing around formulas. I need it dumbed down even further. My experience is with sealed boxes. I really have very little experience with ported boxs (I am concerned with SQ, not with SPL). This website seems to essentially compare PR to ported boxes, then throws formulas in your face. Doesn't help me in the slightest. My main concern here is SQ, and how PR's are for that. Also interested in how they compare to sealed boxes for SQ.

Check this link on the TC sounds website:

http://www.audiopulse.com/products/passive-radiators/

I know that TC sounds make real good SQ subs, I have an eclipse 8122 DVC 12" sub that is made by TC sounds. I am using it to replace my 2 10" kicker solobarics (s10d, old school round, SQ subs; not the crappy square kind). Being the novice I am in this area, I assume that TC sound wouldn't be getting into the PR market unless there was something there to be said about SQ (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Specifically, this is for a possible install in a 1993 S-10 regular cab truck. I won't be cutting any metal and loosing stucture and comfort for the sake of better sound. The idea of saving space in the building of the box (probably integrated into the center console) is appealing (or am I off on that)?

This being a truck install, I have a concern about sb sound quality. I have only dealt with subs in the trunk. With a trunk closed, the subs seem to sound a lot better then when the trunk is open. I assume this has something to do with the fact that the sub is using the trunk as a resonating chamber. When the trunk is open (on some of the installs I have done; admittedly using lesser subs) the sub looses SQ.  Is there a loss in SQ when the sub is in the same compartment as the passengers; in this case, in the truck cab? if so, is there a work around?

One last issue; 10" vs. 12" subs, Which is better for SQ, and range? Would a 10" not be as able to reach and/or reproduce lower frequencies as a 12"? Are there any other benifits/drawbacks with one size vs. the other?

Thanks in advance for any input. It is appriciated.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
shagdrum wrote:
don' t know much aboutpassive radiator. Saw this link posted in a different thread:
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prd/
Very sort explanation then it starts throwing around formulas. I need it dumbed down even further. My experience is with sealed boxes. I really have very little experience with ported boxs (I am concerned with SQ, not with SPL). This website seems to essentially compare PR to ported boxes, then throws formulas in your face. Doesn't help me in the slightest. My main concern here is SQ, and how PR's are for that. Also interested in how they compare to sealed boxes for SQ.
Much like any good vented enclosure, a PR system will rely STRONGLY on construction techniques and PROPER volume. Even a small deviation from what is necessary can have large effects on the end product. I have heard som awe-inspiring PR systems, just as I have heard the same from proper vented systems.
shagdrum wrote:
Check this link on the TC sounds website:
http://www.audiopulse.com/products/passive-radiators/
I know that TC sounds make real good SQ subs, I have an eclipse 8122 DVC 12" sub that is made by TC sounds. I am using it to replace my 2 10" kicker solobarics (s10d, old school round, SQ subs; not the crappy square kind). Being the novice I am in this area, I assume that TC sound wouldn't be getting into the PR market unless there was something there to be said about SQ (please correct me if I'm wrong).
The Eclipse will sound better than the Kickers, but I'd make sure they are candidates for large-ish vented enclosure. You'll choose a PR woofer based on the same T/S parameters.
shagdrum wrote:
Specifically, this is for a possible install in a 1993 S-10 regular cab truck. I won't be cutting any metal and loosing stucture and comfort for the sake of better sound. The idea of saving space in the building of the box (probably integrated into the center console) is appealing (or am I off on that)?
Might not save any. PRs, just like vented enclosures, are larger than their sealed counterparts. You also need to remember that there is TWICE the woofer area, so the box geometry might not fit as nicely as you might have in mind.
shagdrum wrote:
This being a truck install, I have a concern about sb sound quality. I have only dealt with subs in the trunk. With a trunk closed, the subs seem to sound a lot better then when the trunk is open. I assume this has something to do with the fact that the sub is using the trunk as a resonating chamber. When the trunk is open (on some of the installs I have done; admittedly using lesser subs) the sub looses SQ. Is there a loss in SQ when the sub is in the same compartment as the passengers; in this case, in the truck cab? if so, is there a work around?
It has little to do with the trunk placement. It has MUCH more to do with the fact that you are in the compartment with the sub. Generally, you will get similar responses in a truck or a closed trunk.
shagdrum wrote:
One last issue; 10" vs. 12" subs, Which is better for SQ, and range? Would a 10" not be as able to reach and/or reproduce lower frequencies as a 12"? Are there any other benifits/drawbacks with one size vs. the other?
It won't matter, it will rely mostly on the enclosure, and the inductance of the voice coil. My Eclipse Ti 10 went NOTICEABLY deeper in the optimum enclosure (and the RTA showed that) than the Eclipse Ti 12 did in ITS optimum enclosure, but the 12 "sounded" marginally faster (that's a subjective measurement - no hard data for that one). Just the opposite of what most people would think would be the case. Same amp, same impedance, same flat EQ/RTA curve, same crossover point, same location in the trunk.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

I'm very impressed with my 10" Boston G5 with GTR (PR) -'tuned' to 25Hz. I, too, switched over from Kickers. I'll never use Kicker subs again -for my own vehicle -maybe my G/F's. Still a very big maybe. -She probably couldn't tell the difference.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
jmelton86 wrote:

I'll never use Kicker subs again -for my own vehicle -maybe my G/F's. Still a very big maybe. -She probably couldn't tell the difference.

C'mon now...

Treat your girlfriend like you love her.       tc sound passive radiator, in a truck? -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
jmelton86 wrote:

I'll never use Kicker subs again -for my own vehicle -maybe my G/F's. Still a very big maybe. -She probably couldn't tell the difference.

C'mon now...

Treat your girlfriend like you love her.       tc sound passive radiator, in a truck? -- posted image.

You're right, I can find better subs for the money. But hey, she's satisfied with her JVC HU (24bit BurrBrown D/A convertor is about all it's got going for it...), Lanzar 6.5's (rear) and factory 6.5's and Jensen tweeters (front). Don't worry, I put it all in her car before I realized the importance of spending money on the stuff.

Maybe I could spend some more time on her system. Nah... I've gotta get mine right first...lol

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
donpisto 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2007 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

I'm considering playing around with some PR's myself. I did not read this entire thread, so please excuse if what I am about to type has been mentioned. PR's act as ports. Basically, design a sealed enclosure and put the PR's in. However, from my understanding, you need double the cone area. So if it is for a single 10" sub, you would either need 2 10" PR's or 1 12" PR.

As for SQ of a 10 or 12, it really doesnt matter what size you go with. My RL-p 18, has immaculate SQ and is just as accurate as an 8" or 10" sub. The SQ of your system all depends on how you tune your system.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic