icon

1996 mazda mx3 scytek

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
iwannaknow 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
Scytek Model 5000RS-M (manual transmission). I have the tach connected.
It will start and run when warm, in the cold it cranks for 5 seconds and gives up, never re-tries. I believe the tach signal is weak. Any thoughts/suggestions please. (Do i need to add a capacitor on the tach signal into the Scytek, it says its an ac signal but scoping it reveals a pulsed dc signal).
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
try ti relearn tach. the only reason it will only start preoperly if u hooked up the tach. try switching to voltage sense, and see if it will start. If anything try a new tach line. grab the tach at the coil or distributor. A yellow/blue is ur tach.
iwannaknow 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
i did re-teach tach a number of times and i am using the yellow/blue at the distributor. It does start and run if its warm out. i'm guessing the extra load the starter puts on the battery when its cold out is diminishing the tach signal level so the remote starter doesn't see it properly. I don't know that changing to a different remote starter is going to solve this problem. Do you know what the voltage levels for the tach signal should be (i know the battery puts out 12vdc but the coil imposes a kickback that i think the starter is using, reason, when i simulate the tach with a signal generator the remote starter does not recognise it)
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2007 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Have you programed the start for gas engine(branch 21) then enter branch 20 for engine sense mode(tach monitor) then start and go back to branch 21 and  do rpm learn. it should be fine.
BigDog
iwannaknow 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2007 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

yep, the engine is set to "Gas", but there are no options to set at menu 20 (for a manual transmission model, must use a tach signal), and i am performing a "Tach Learn".

I'm almost positive its a weak tach signal but i don't know enough about the 5000RS to be able to come up with something to make the RS recognise the signal better.

russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2007 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry about that,I forgot about the menu on a M/T  unit.Try and grab a Fuel injector wire.
BigDog
iwannaknow 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2007 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

yep, well what i grabbed is a Prostart remote starter instead, it has over and undercranking settings as well as a tach teach that learns from not running to running conditions.  i hope it works better, i'll have it installed on the weekend.

On another note: Anyone want to buy a Galaxy 5000RS-M, only used once ... when it was warm out. 

just kidding, please don't kick me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic