icon

favorite sound processor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

I'm curious what sound processors are in favor with the audio Gods (Demi-Gods) that walk this part of the ethereal plane. I currently have the Alpine PXA-C701 which will be mated with Alpine  IVA-D310. The pair have an integration advantage and THX and many other good features. Unfortunately it is lacking in the implementation of some of those same features.

So what light you up and why? and remember there is no winner here....

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

Mine as some huge pluses, but some huge negatives as well.  It is the Sony ES XDP-4000X which has to be one of the most precise processors I've ever seen.  It has selectable 24, 36, and 72 dB per octave crossover slopes on each channel with +6 -12 dB level controls per channel in .5 dB incriments; a 10 band parametric EQ with 1/18 octave steps, 250 Q positions, and +/- 12 dB in .1 dB incriments; and seperate digital delays per 8 channels in .25 inch incriments up to like 36 feet away.  All of this is in a copper chassis with an optical input and output and 24 bit DAC's. 

One of the downsides is the number of crossover frequencies offered, which aren't very many.  And the biggest downside is that it HAS to be used on a Sony head unit with Unilink controls.  This means no modern head units can be used.  Here's a link with tons of information on this unit: http://www.matronics.com/xdp4000x-list/  You can also download the DSC software that controls the unit.

If you are looking for a good digital processor, I would recommend looking at Altomobile.  I've heard really good things about them. 

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
The Zapco DSP unit is pretty cool. An early review claimed it was more transparent than the Alpine F1 Status processor. Be prepaired to meet Symbilink inputs and outputs!
Altomobile makes some nice products. They offer products in both the Pro Audio world and car audio. RCA in's/out's. The 12V God's have made mention of the killer EQ's and Crossover.
If money were no object, this would be my choice:    
www.dolby.com/professional/Live_Sound/products/
With the wireless tablet, everything could be controlled in or around the vehicle with endless presets. Auto tuning with SMAART Live is very cool.
audiocableguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
Alto has pulled or is pulling out the car audio market. That Sucks! Looks like a few random pieces still available.
Arc Audio has an analogue processor however it doesn't have time alignment. The SE amps are incredible. AudioControl has a few digital products.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Sadly, it is true, Alto has removed themselves from the 12 volt arena.
I did tell you I'd look for a link to a possible purchase place...
here...
Still looking for my copy of the software... As soon as I can, I'll get it out to you, Jack!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jfinks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

One of the downsides is the number of crossover frequencies offered, which aren't very many.  And the biggest downside is that it HAS to be used on a Sony head unit with Unilink controls. 

Its funny how we will stick with things we really fall in love with. Very cool Soft Ware. I got turned on by the Fiber Optic Combiner/Splitter stuff!

Is this the one with the joy stick controller?

Steven Kephart wrote:
If you are looking for a good digital processor, I would recommend looking at Altomobile.  I've heard really good things about them. 

I think Ham can weigh in on this. I sat in his car....

jfinks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

audiocableguy wrote:
The Zapco DSP unit is pretty cool. An early review claimed it was more transparent than the Alpine F1 Status processor. Be prepaired to meet Symbilink inputs and outputs!

I have so thought about the Alpine F1 stuff but at 4000 a pop and I would need at least 3....Uhm

Zapco stuff reminds of Greg Schug from Monolithic Sound. I worked for him many years back designing circuit boards. Balanced lines never really caught on....

audiocableguy wrote:
If money were no object, this would be my choice:    
www.dolby.com/professional/Live_Sound/products/
With the wireless tablet, everything could be controlled in or around the vehicle with endless presets. Auto tuning with SMAART Live is very cool.

The tablet is very cool but I did not see any Time Aliengment capibility or did I miss that. It's really designed for sound re-inforcement where time aliegnment isn't really an issue like it is in car audio....very cool stuff

audiocableguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
The monolithic stuff, incredible amplifiers! Too bad they didn't catch on, or maybe that was the point! They were limited on dealers. They were a treat to listen to. Went with Linear 3002's and was happy.
The Symbilink system is a pain in the butt at first. Expensive cables, mates only with like products, etc.. however the lack of noise and ground loops is nice. Zapco has just been a quality product.
I like the Dolby Lake product because you can build processors in banks of 4 with a max of 16 in's and outs. Making it very flexible. Yes, it has full time aligment and sounds incredible. The Alto stuff was was certainly heading in the right direction!
jfinks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

audiocableguy wrote:
The monolithic stuff, incredible amplifiers! Too bad they didn't catch on, or maybe that was the point! They were limited on dealers. They were a treat to listen to. Went with Linear 3002's and was happy.

We used the TO3 Transistors for output devices. I am a bit biased but yes those amps were very nice! Greg was designing and building the Polk ultimate home speakers at that time as well for other companies. The Ultamates 3's (I think thats what they were called; they consisted 4 7 foot towers) were the ones with the 2 stacks of 6 X 12" woofers. They had accellorometers attached to the voice coils as an active control. Well he had a lot on his plate so that part of his biz just never really got going like it should have.

audiocableguy wrote:
The Symbilink system is a pain in the butt at first. Expensive cables, mates only with like products, etc.. however the lack of noise and ground loops is nice. Zapco has just been a quality product.

The sound pro guys have been using XLR for years and years...Rejects all that AC that is running around their equipment....

audiocableguy wrote:
I like the Dolby Lake product because you can build processors in banks of 4 with a max of 16 in's and outs. Making it very flexible. Yes, it has full time aligment and sounds incredible. The Alto stuff was was certainly heading in the right direction! 

I'll have to give that a closer look because I missed the ailigment stuff

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic