icon

adding a switch to aftermarket door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
efx26 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2014 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
Not a problem I'll leave this alone, but thank you. I do appreciate it.
howie ll wrote:
The problem is you keep on making mistakes with your diagrams, Catback and myself take great pains to point them out and suggest answers but you don't appear to either understand or listen to what we're suggesting, go back and do some homework, try this site for a start:-
http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2014 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
efx26 wrote:
Also, your diagram is missing the positive wire coming from the alarm.
No it's not. You focus on the Red too much. The relays are ground triggered, we're not in the conventional positive side switched arena anymore.
And with that Red is dead, no more red from the alarm. Violet is the new Red.
adding a switch to aftermarket door locks - Page 7 - Last Post -- posted image.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2014 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you for clarifying that. I did see the brown wire to ground before, and was also changing the switch wire but didn't have a chance to get to it. I just rewired the 86 wires with the 87 to test this out on the power supply and that works. However I found that grounding the red (now) purple wire on the above diagram trips the power supply. It completely turns everything off, meaning since it's positive it's causing a short. I did this with the ign wire on and off. So grounding this wire on this alarm does not work. I found that not connecting the wire, the system works fine though. I also found that leaving the 86 coil wires as I had them on the red wire coming from the alarm also works. I just thought I mention it since shorts is what we want to prevent. So this is the only reason I was baffled as to why would I want to put a positive wire straight to ground, so I tested it just to be sure even if it fried something. I know it sounded like I was focusing on it, but that's the only reason I kept bringing it up. The good thing is that it looks like the power supply has good protection and so does the alarm. Everything still seems to work. Well, thank you again and I hope this is helpful to others.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2014 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
Listen sunshine really simple. The alarm's lock, unlock and second unlock are all ground going as are the switch output wires.
The switch centre tap goes to ground!
The NEG side of the coil is 85, the POS is 86.
What I don't understand is why you don't appear to follow the simple diagrams posted by Catback and myself. From what you are posting you seem to be ignoring our combined 60+ years of experience and screwing things up.
Just follow those two diagrams PROPERLY and you won't go wrong.
What BROWN wire? It's VIOLET!!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2014 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
Quote:-" However I found that grounding the red (now) purple wire on the above diagram trips the power supply. It completely turns everything off, meaning since it's positive it's causing a short. I did this with the ign wire on and off. So grounding this wire on this alarm does not work. I found that not connecting the wire, the system works fine though. I also found
No it isn't positive it's NEG or haven't you fitted the diodes to the relays?
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2014 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
I did forget one of the diodes, so I'll check again. I was referring to his first diagram. You also mentioned the switch. I haven't even taken out the switch out of the car, so I haven't even tested that. I have the alarm plugged into a power supply on my bench.
I'm sorry but I have to say this, you really need to stop being so condescending. I have not questioned your experience or abilities, or anyone else. If a person doesn't understand something they ask and keep asking if they really don't understand and want to learn which is my case here. Everyone learns at a different pace. In every forum, that's normally what my experience has been and when I can help someone I don't mind telling them over and over until hopefully they understand. I am not purposely trying to start anything and I am sorry if you feel that way.
Now, you are right, if I leave that wire out, the system works fine. My alarm has that wire, I know you left it out on your diagram. I have never done this so I am testing the wire to see what it does when I plug it to the ground wires as suggested while the system is working. It shorts my power supply. I'm just telling you what it's doing, not trying to tell you that you are wrong.
howie ll wrote:
Quote:-" However I found that grounding the red (now) purple wire on the above diagram trips the power supply. It completely turns everything off, meaning since it's positive it's causing a short. I did this with the ign wire on and off. So grounding this wire on this alarm does not work. I found that not connecting the wire, the system works fine though. I also found
No it isn't positive it's NEG or haven't you fitted the diodes to the relays?
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2014 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
Again with the RED!!! Red is dead, I killed it. The only thing red is the red lines of my MS Paint masterpiece of a diagram.
What this means specifically is that Green, Red, Blue connector non-sense is no more. Forget about it. Green, Violet, and Blue (from the lock harness) is where it's all at. Nothing else in the alarm side of things is mentioned because they are irrelevant to power locks as they would be in a car without the alarm. Don't forget we are tying an alarm and driver priority unlock into an existing vehicle setup, not tying a vehicle into an alarm. So we're taking a basic standard setup and attaching our extras into it without rewiring what was already there - while your aftermarket system didn't originally have two external relays, such a setup is quite common and standard.
I don't speak for howie but I don't mind inquisitive minds. But I tell ya if you build it, it will work. adding a switch to aftermarket door locks - Page 7 - Last Post -- posted image.
Page of 7

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic