icon

12'' Eclipse Subwoofer, Designing Box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dsmrevolution 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
Hey everybody, this weekend I am going to build a enclosure for my 12" Eclipse DVC subwoofer (model SW7124DVC-T4) and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions and help!
First, I am deciding if I want to do a sealed enclosure or a slot vented (or ported) enclosure. I know the advantages and disadvantages of each which leads me to believe I will enjoy this subwoofer in a slot vented enclosure more. I mostly listen to rap music but on occasion I like to listen to R+B, rock, etc. Now my question is though, will this subwoofer work well in a slot vented enclosure?
Second, I do not understand what size I should make the enclosure in CuFt (depending on enclosure type of course). What would work best for this subwoofer? I have the installation manual and it shows 4 different enclosure specs (3 sealed, 1 ported). The specs are as follows:
Sealed Enclosure 0.5 CuFt F3 = 45HZ
Sealed Enclosure 1.0 CuFt F3 = 41HZ
Sealed Enclosure 1.5 CuFt F3 = 40HZ
Ported Enclosure 1.75 CuFt F3 = 30HZ
Port Information = 3" Diameter x 12" Long
(Caution: Ported Enclosures must use Subsonic Filter, for safe operation below Fb. Set subsonic to 25HZ) **What is this?
Are any of these enclosures, enclosures I would even want as far as enclosure size (CuFt)? I understand that enclosure size recommendations are dependent on your music listening type so what would you recommend? Also I will be powering this subwoofer with a Phoenix Gold XENON X400.1 monoblock amplifier if it matters.
I have all the specs for this subwoofer (which can also be found here ) if you need any additional information. Keep in mind that I have the SW7124DVC-T4 (4ohm+4ohm) subwoofer.
Thank you in advance for the help. It is more then appreciated! 12'' Eclipse Subwoofer, Designing Box - Last Post -- posted image.

12'' Eclipse Subwoofer, Designing Box - Last Post -- posted image.

dsmrevolution 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

Well I don't know why I can't get that other picture to show up so if you are interested check out this below:

http://http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99645

The other picture can be found there. Thanks!

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

Good job putting in all the necessary info, by the way...although the link in the 2nd post wouldn't work for me...  But your pics were readable to look at the T/S parameters.  To decide whether sealed or vented for any particular subwoofer, I'll first look at the Fs and the Qes.  Fs / Qes = EBP.  An EBP of under 50 is usually best in a sealed enclosure.  This sub, wired in parallel to 2 ohms, has an EBP of 49... into sealed territory.  Enclosure type is not entirely dependent on favorite style of music.  Availability of ample power and overall quality of the sound system as a whole, as well as the parameters of the sub, all go into the decision. 

As far as rap music and some other hip hop is concerned, there is an increased recorded boom response in the recording to begin with.  Generally empasizing the mid subwoofer freqs so that it still sounds like good rap on even the shi!!iest systems.  You don't need to emphasize it even more with your sub enclosure.  With the smoother curve of the sealed enclosure, the rap will be as loud as you want it and the R&B will sound even better.

There is an increase in freqs in the 50 Hz range in a car, anyway, due to cabin gain.  That doesn't show up on the graphs, so when you look at the ported curve and think that it will provide the greatest bass response, it may very well not.  Loudest, yes, but not the greatest.  The response may be too far out of proportion to the rest of the sub response curve.  I think ported boxes are fun to design and build, but with a somewhat low EBP like this sub has, the port may have to be bigger in size, thus making the overall enclosure that much bigger.

In those listings for sealed box sizes, you notice that as the box gets larger the F3 goes to lower Hz.  The F3 is the point at which the sound level starts to drop off noticeably (a 3 db decrease from the highest level of the curve).  As the box grows in air volume, the musical range of this sub will go to lower frequencies with more authority.  You may be able to go quite a bit lower than shown above if the box could be built big enough, but there are limitations of size and weight in car audio.  And...as you can see with the Hz numbers 45, 41, then 40...the curve is flattening out.  You get to a point of diminishing returns.

So I would choose the largest of the three...for any type of music.  With the quality of power you are going to provide this sub, you will appreciate the quality of subfrequency music it will give you.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dsmrevolution 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

Awesome reply! That answered 99.9%, well 100% of all questions I had! Summed it up very nice. I understand what you mean so I think I better go to work on the enclosure then. Tonight I picked up some MDF so as soon as I get the plans completed, it's off to the garage!

Thanks again, I had a hard time understanding a lot of that information before your reply. -Brandon

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic