icon

Under pwer vs. Over power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, just excuse my post right above this one.
SO then, as you turn the gain "up", or usually clockwise, you are setting it for a LOWer input vrms?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

Ah yes, of course in the strictest sense there is no DC present in even a square wave (100% clipping) since it is a Fourier transform, and even in it's purest, single frequency form is constantly alternating back and forth between two extremes.  What I said was a clipped signal is "in effect" a DC signal, since when the wave is in the flat portion (clipped) it is unchanging like DC.  As the frequency of the signal decreases, and as the tone is more mono-tone (a singal frequency) the net signal approaches two DC signals, one at X+ and one at X-.

My reasoning behind stating that a clipped signal makes an over-power situation worse (or creates an over-power situation like Mr. Wiggins explained in the other thread) is the loudspeaker behaves for each half-cycle as if the signal was DC.  It stops moving at the extreme of the signal-created excursion stroke and thus the heat generated by the current flow must be disipated solely through the conduction and convection properties of the voice coil winding (and mounting system) itself.  There is no air flow created through system movement at these extremes, which can accelerate failure due to heat.  Of course it will as instantaneously as possible shift to the oposite extreme for every other half cycle.

I don't think we're contradicting one another, just looking at the behavior slightly differently.  Dan's more of a pure theoretical engineer; I'm more of an applications guy.

Wow, thanks for the explanation.  Now I know I am out of my league here, so please don't take this as me disagreeing.  I am just playing devils advocate to learn. 

But is the cone held in place long enough that there is lack of air movement?  I can see this maybe at a REALLY low frequency like say 5 Hz.  But even at 20 Hz the change to polar extremes is pretty quick.  In fact that video I linked in that other thread was taken with the subwoofer playing at about 15 Hz.  And yet it is moving back and forth at a decent rate.  I suppose one difference between a sine wave and a square wave is that acceleration is attempting to change at a much greater rate with a square wave.  Or is that incorrect?

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Now don't get me wrong.  I think explaining it to be similar to DC offers a great visual aid for those learning. 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
But is the cone held in place long enough that there is lack of air movement?  I can see this maybe at a REALLY low frequency like say 5 Hz.  But even at 20 Hz the change to polar extremes is pretty quick.  In fact that video I linked in that other thread was taken with the subwoofer playing at about 15 Hz.  And yet it is moving back and forth at a decent rate.  I suppose one difference between a sine wave and a square wave is that acceleration is attempting to change at a much greater rate with a square wave.  Or is that incorrect?

That's a very good question.  In my experience, well-made woofers can probably handle the extra heat much better than more poorly designed and built ones.  Cheaper speakers use cheaper components, of course.  You are correct that a square wave attempts to change state (phase) instantly.  Since infinite acceleration is impossible in any system with mass, the loudspeaker cannot react at the same rate as electricity can.  In this case, a higher frequency square wave can cause the voice coil to "twitch" as it tries to alternate between extreems and it cannot keep up.  It simply heats up in this case.  Tweeters are prone to damage from clipping in this manner. 

Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
So then, what happens if you set the amp for a HU that puts out 8vrms, but the HU you're using actually puts out 2vrms?

In this case the amp will receive a lower signal than it is adjusted for and will not increase output at the same rate as the HU (it won't get as loud).  You want the maximums matched so that the amplifier output increases at the same rate as the HU preamp output.

Poormanq45 wrote:
SO then, as you turn the gain "up", or usually clockwise, you are setting it for a LOWer input vrms?

This is generally correct.

Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

You are correct that a square wave attempts to change state (phase) instantly.  Since infinite acceleration is impossible in any system with mass, the loudspeaker cannot react at the same rate as electricity can.  In this case, a higher frequency square wave can cause the voice coil to "twitch" as it tries to alternate between extreems and it cannot keep up.  It simply heats up in this case.  Tweeters are prone to damage from clipping in this manner. 

Forgive me for going off on a tangent that has little to do with the original topic.  But this is a topic I am still trying to fully comprehend.  I think the mistake that most people make, including many engineers we have found, is that they think in terms of acceleration, rather than change of acceleration.  From what I have been told, speakers are constant acceleration devices.  Now with a squre wave as far as I can tell the rate in change of acceleration is much higher because it is going directly from infinity to zero, rather than a smooth transition with a sine wave.  Now mass will effect a square wave just like a sine wave.  It won't effect the rate in change of acceleration because mass is constant.  It will only limit the peaks of those waves (SPL).  However the inductance within a speaker will effect the rate in change of acceleration since inductance tries to keep current from changing.  This should make for an interesting looking wave form produced by a speaker with high inductance trying to produce a square wave. Under pwer vs. Over power - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

But then maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe in such an extreme instance like a square wave, mass does start to effect the transient response for the reasons you mention.  But then as I mentioned above, inductance is effecting it as well.  I would guess one or the other would dominate.  But which one?

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

I am not a loudspeaker designer, but from my understanding of physics and electricity you must take into account both the inertia of the mass being accelerated (any change of momentum or directions requiring acceleration in order for the change to occur) AND you must take into effect the electro-magnetic behavior of the voice coil windings as current carrying conductors in a magnetic field.  Both Newton and Faraday have a say in this one, I suspect. 

I think both mass and inductance/impedence have an impact on transient reaction and response, and both work together to determine the ability of a loudspeaker to reproduce any soundwave.  Which has a greater impact probably depends more on the specific parameters at each measurment than on any generally predictable behavior.  I'd be willing to bet the contribution from mass and the contribution from inductance, reactance, resistance, flux density, etc. changes over the loudspeaker's response curve and as input levels change; at some times one contrinutes more and at other times other factors do.

This is conjecture on my part, but it seem to fit with my basic understanding of the phenomenon occurring in a speaker voice coil.  I could of course be wrong!

Support the12volt.com
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
steven wrote:
But is the cone held in place long enough that there is lack of air movement? I can see this maybe at a REALLY low frequency like say 5 Hz. But even at 20 Hz the change to polar extremes is pretty quick.
Steven Kephart
Adire Audio
Nah, IIRC, a halving of frequency results in a quadrupling of excursion. If this is indeed correct, then the cone would be moving back and forth at a slower rate, but it would be moving much farther. So the air movement would still be "There"
Steven Kephart 
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
steven wrote:
But is the cone held in place long enough that there is lack of air movement? I can see this maybe at a REALLY low frequency like say 5 Hz. But even at 20 Hz the change to polar extremes is pretty quick.
Steven Kephart
Adire Audio
Nah, IIRC, a halving of frequency results in a quadrupling of excursion. If this is indeed correct, then the cone would be moving back and forth at a slower rate, but it would be moving much farther. So the air movement would still be "There"

That is correct, and a VERY good point.  However it wouldn't be moving back and forth at a slower rate because that would change the frequency produced. Under pwer vs. Over power - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.  It just means that for every doubling of static movement, there is 4 times more air moving past the coil (or is that even correct?).  So the question still stands.  However this does become even more complex when we add enclosure effects into the mix. Under pwer vs. Over power - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

mtsooner 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I know I'm a newbie guys, but I'm trying to learn the in's and out's of the gain control before I bust into turning it all over the place....I've read all the posts in this topic and also have read the BCAE article. Here's my question. My new Xenon 200.4 has (2) input sensitivities on it. One for front, one for rear. They go from 200 millivolts to 8 volts. Was that article saying on BCAE that the 200 millivolts side was actually the high side? Also, if my HU is rated at 4 volts out, should I set my gains halfway to match my HU to my amp? Hope these aren't dumb questions, I just don't want to be one of those fools out there...I'd like to actually understand what I'm doing before I do it.
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
It would seem that you should set it ~1/2 between the two, but there is no way to tell that this will be correct without you actually listening to it.
Turn off all EQs on the HU, then turn the volume to ~75%, then adjust the gain until you start to hear distortion, then turn the gain down until the distortion goes away.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic