2005 dodge grand carivan remote start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
electricd7 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2008 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I just bought my wife a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT.  It has all the options (except remote start if that was an option!).  Anyway, I am looking for an add-on remote-start system that would allow her to start the van without adding any more keyfobs to the collection.  Is this even possible, and if so can someone point me in the right direction?  Thanks!

ED7

electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2008 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
I should add that I want to keep the factory system intact and use the factory keyfob (built onto key) if possible.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2008 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
It's possible...there are many remote starts that will work off of a factory power lock system, but your range would be limited to the range of the factory keyless entry system. I'd suggest a 1-button remote start might be a better option(remotes are usually pretty small and don't get in the way). The factory keyless on that car will still work when it's remote started.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2008 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

Can you possibly suggest a reliable one?

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2008 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
There are quite a few starters that allow activation from an outside source. My preference is the DEI product. The Valet 561T does not include remotes. The Valet 561R, Avital 4000/4100, the Automate 6.2 all include remotes but have the option of not using the remotes. This is how I normally install a RS on a vehicle that has the remote built into the key: I hook it up using the actuator lock leg, set the RS to require 3 pulses and still hook up the antenna. This gives the owner the option of a remote with greater operating range than the factory in-key remotes but also allows them to only carry one remote with them.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yea the 561T looks like exactly what I want.  When you say you hook up the acuator log leg I assume you mean the part that get the "lock" command from the stock keyfob.  Then you can program the RS unit out of the box to require 3 pulses.  IE, then if she would hit the lock button 3 times it would remote start?  That sounds perfect!  Is there any other items I need with this vehicle to pull this off?  Also could someone please post the info I need (wiring colors) for hooking up a remote start to this vehicle?  Thanks again, this forum is great!
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

I will probably try and tackle this install myself, but if I can't get it done, what wire do I tell the local shop to hook this thing up to so it will operate when the lock button is pressed 3 times.  I am assuming that out of the box it probably activates with a single pulse, so it will definately need to be programmed before it is used, otherwise it will be remote starting everyting the car is locked!

brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
Any shop should be able to hook the system up as you request. Hooking up the the door lock actuator is no big deal.
On the 05 Caravan I would assume it needs a transponder key bypass.
This will allow it to start without a security key in the ignition.
Wiring diagrams are available by using the link in the navagation bar at the top of the 12volt.com web page.
electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  
Can anyone verify if I need the transponder for this vehicle?
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
You do need a bypass...BypassKit PKU-CH2X will work, also DEI 556C.
Your wire hook-up will depend on what kind of external activation input your remote starter has. It will inevitably involve connecting to the lock motor lead - unfortunately I don't remember the color offhand on that van but it's probably posted around here somewhere.
If you've got a (+) activation input, the lock motor lead can be connected directly to it. The 561T/561R have such an input.
If you've only got a (-) activation input, you'll need a relay connected as follows:
85, 87 - ground
86 - lock motor lead
30 - activation input
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic