icon

2005 dodge grand carivan remote start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
electricd7 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

Ok I am going to order the 561T today.  If I order that as well as the DEI 556C I should have all I need to have a working remote start in the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan minus some relays correct?

electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I just checked this wiring chart: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=45733, and it indicates that I need a 556U for bypass, is this the same as the 556C referenced a couple posts up?  Which one do I order?  don't want to get the wrong thing!  Thanks!
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
556U: One of your existing keys permanently resides inside the unit, for the life of the installation.
556C: Costs more, but you don't lose a key. NOTE: Both of your existing keys must be present at the time of installation, for programming of the 556C.
Also, a third option is to buy a 556U, and then buy a blank Chrysler key to put inside, from a locksmith, ebay, www.hlflake.com, or www. howardkeys.com. This is often less expensive than the 556C, and more reliable in my opinion.
Also, keep in mind that many installers don't install any product but their own, or they'll charge significantly more to install product purchased elsewhere.
Also, they can't help you if it fails under warranty....you'd have to ship it in for replacement on your own.
Before buying product, it might be good to call a few local shops..........get their price for labor-only, and a price for everything, with their product and warranty.
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  
You mentioned you get extended range-- still hook up the antenna- but you also said you don't use the remotes - so can you elaborate?  What is wrong with adding a one button remote to a car that has the OEM remotes built into the key?  Thanks...
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  

I think he was saying you could use the remotes if you wanted to...versus a 561T which will only work off of the factory fob and its limited range.

Nothing at all wrong with one-button remotes on a car with an integrated key/fob, unless it's a car where the remote stops working with ignition on...then you can't use keyless entry when the car's remotely started. Chrysler's don't generally have that problem though.

electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  

Nothing wrong with it really, but why clutter up your keychain with yet another thing when you can do it all with what you currently have :).  I am not overly excited about the extended range, as she would probably only be remote starting it out in our driveway from the house which she can currently lock the car that way now, so i think the range will be sufficient.

Chris Luongo:  If I buy a blank chrysler key, will that work even though this is a Dodge (i know they are closely related.)  Just looking for the best solution.  Giving up one of the factory keys for the life of the RS is not going to be an option for me.  Can i get just any chrysler/dodge key, or does it have to be the one that has all the fancy lock/unlock/etc built into the key?  Thanks..still a newb to this type of protection. 

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not Chris Luongo (well that's 50% correct) 2005 dodge grand carivan remote start? - Page 2 -- posted image....I did recently call a bunch of dealers for a key for my buddy's car('07 Dodge Magnum) and confirmed what I knew about this stuff..

Any Chrysler 2nd generation(2004-up) SentryKey can be programmed to your car, whether it says Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep on the key itself, as long as the key has not been programmed to a car before. 

You can get a cheaper key without the integrated remote for your vehicle...probably about $15-20 for a generic one. You can program it yourself as long as you've got two separate keys that already work.  If not, I've usually been quoted $75 from dealers for a key and programming.

As mentioned earlier the PKU-CH2X from BypassKit is also an option for an immobilizer bypass...I much prefer it to the 555C (the PKU-CH2X has an antenna ring that goes around the key cylinder, the 555C has a capsule that gets placed right next to it - and the 555C's harder to get into a position where it works every time, I agree with that point). 

Also, the PKU has an output for the 2nd starter/accessory wire - which means one fewer relay and resistor hassle for you.  The downside is that they aren't as cheap, but you may find that worth the tradeoff as far as making your install easier.

electricd7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
K thanks.  I think I have the information I need except for maybe a website that shows how to program a sentry key when you have 2 separate keys that work.  If this way is the most reliable way, I will just go with the 555U and buy a "blank" sentry key.  Thanks again, you guys have been TONS of help!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
you must have 2 keys to program a bypass and program a third empty sentry key. if i remember , it was place first key into ignition, take key out wiat about 15 seconds or so 10 should be fine in each step. insert second key and wait for light to flash, then place blank sentry key in, wait for light to dissapear, then start. and new key should be programmed.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
electricd7,
Sorry about that, we installers tend to call all Chrysler products Chryslers, all GM products GMs, and so forth.
Like Chris Wallace said, the logo on the head of the key doesn't matter. However, there are two syles of key....an older one (for example, say, a 2000 Intrepid), and then the newer style.....they look the same, but the chips inside are different.
Any good local locksmith should be able to sell you the key you need, and cut it for you, although he might not have the best price.
Even at the dealership, most of the cost is in the programming......even though they'll have the highest price on the key, you can still save a lot by programming it yourself.
The instructions for programming keys are in the van's owner's manual. Look up "Sentry Key" in the index. It's easy.
As far as whether to do the remote start off the factory remotes.......it's a very good way to do it, as long as you know in advance what to expect. I did my mother's minivan with an Audiovox AS-9075, and she's very happy with it.
Question 1. Can you operate the factory remote from inside your house? That is, if you're, say, in the kitchen, and you hit the lock button, can you hear the van's horn honk? You really do need to know if the remotes will work from your home.
Question 2. Are you willing to accept that you're not going to be able to remote start the car from the mall, the supermarket, the movie theater, your friend's apartment complex....places like that?
P.S. I think someone else suggested this, but:
The 561R comes with a remote, AND has the abiity to be activated by the factory remote. It only costs slightly more than the 561T.
You could install a 561R and wire it BOTH ways.
Your wife could activate it from the factory remote when she's close enough to the van..............and for example, she could leave the 561R's remote in her office, so she can start it from far away before leaving work.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic