icon

improperly tuned box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
I highly doubt you can hear your amp clipping or your subwoofers distorting in your bandpass enclosure.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
You can. I dont understand why everyone makes it sound like bandpass boxes are junk. If they were honestly pieces of garbage, they wouldnt be on the market. I can tell if my subs are distorting and clipping by running the amp at max at 2 ohm sterio stable. I have done that before and hated how they sounded. But I like the way my subs sound in my bandpass. They hit hard on the bassy notes. They sound good with all kinds of music. They simply cant hit the lowest of lows. No big deal to me. But dont doubt what I can and cant hear. I know what a clipping sound is and how subs sound when they distort. They distorted for me several years ago when I tried my old amp at 2 ohm stereo. I just simply want to know what can happen if the box is tuned wrong. If thats the case with my box's, I wil simply trash them. It cost me no money to make them since I can get all the wood I want at work for free.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Your questions have all been answered.  You have all the info you need to proceed.  Good luck.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2008 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
I just went and tested that sub I bought from a friend in one of the boxes I had made. I ran the speaker wires through the port and wired each coil to each channel on her amp. Her amp is a Jensen and is only a 520 or 560 2 channel. I left all her settings alone. The sub pounded harder than what she already has in her car. And the low bass pounds good though the sub isnt powered at its RMS. Now since she liked the way it sounded, I will be making yet another box and put that sub in that box and install it in her car. I just have a few questions. Her amp unlike mine does not have a subsonic filter. Is a subsonic filter needed for a sub thats in a ported box? Her amp obviously wont power the sub at its RMS, so the sub wont be pushed hard at all. Also, the sub she currently has in her car is in a ported box and I have the level on the amp set at 1/2. Will I need to adjust this since im going from a sealed box to a ported box?
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
anyone?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
Depends on the install really. I used to have a 15 inch sub in a 4.3 cu ft enclosure tuned to 40Hz with 112.5 in^2 of port area...800 watts to the sub without a subsonic. Never had any problems.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I am going to try and enlighten you here a little, since it seems as though you were not happy with anyone else's responses...

As you probably know from past correspondance, I have a set of the same subs you have (Earthquake DBX12, single 4 ohm coils). These subs are infact better suited to a vented enclosure than a sealed; HOWEVER - the bandpass box you keep touting is not a vented enclosure per se, and as I am guessing it is a pre-fab bandpass box, it is all the more useless. I can tell you with 99.9% certaintly that there is not a prefab bandpass box made that will sound acceptable, let alone good, with ANY speaker installed. There are just way too many design parameters that must be taken into account when building a bandpass box, and they will be speaker/listener dependant - a prefab, one size fits all design is not going to cut it here...

Now, if you'll refer to my origional thread regarding the box I built for my DBX's, it will tell you basically everything you need to know to build a PROPERLY designed vented enclosure for these subs; tuned to ~30hz (not 35hz as I origionaly posted). This is a nice, low tuning frequency that will dig deep and sound good playing all types of music - not just a one not wonder type of box. If you choose to keep your bandpass box, that's fine - people like what they like; just know that is is not the most efficient, or best sounding enclosure you can get for these subs, and you are truly missing out.

Now to answer your last questions; the subsonic filter is used anytime you want to cut the lowest frequencies from going to your subs - a sub being used in a vented enclosure would be a good time to use this type of filter; as you would set it slightly lower than the tuning frequency of the box to protect your sub from unloading itself below tuning. A bandpass box shouldn't need this type of filter, because by it's very design nature, it is already cutting out frequencies below and above a certin range (hence the term "bandpass"...). BUT, this is where your prefab box will let you down - you have no idea what the passbands even are for this box, since it was not designed to work with your application. It could be cutting out everything below 20hz, or everything below 50hz(more likely), and it could be rolling off everything above 80hz, or everything above 150hz - the point is you jsut have no idea, and it is more than likely NOT the exact passband you will want to work with.

Adjusting the amp: yes, you will have to adjust the amp any time you move it from a different type of enclosure; a vented box is loads more efficient than a sealed one, but you will also probably want to setup the subsonic filter in the vented box (again, probably a little lower than the tuning frequency of the box). You will also probably need less gain on the sub in the vented box than if it were in a sealed box.

-Matt

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
I never said I wasnt happy with the responses I got. But I like to get some different opinions before I make my decision. I took into account what everyone said. I am just afraid I will blow my subs if I do something wrong. You cant get my subs (single 4 ohms) anymore, so I am trying to keep them as long as I can. I have the boxes made, now I need to make a 3rd one and put that dual coil sub in it for my fiance. I loved the way it sounded in her car, yet her amp is only a 560 2 channel amp. It hit the lowest of lows pretty nicely, but I know with a stronger amp (like mine), those will sound even better. I will use the subsonic filter on my amp. The only problem is with her amp. She doesnt have a subsonic filter, but then again her amp isnt all that powerful. Would I be safe using that amp on that sub for her? What I plan on doing is leaving that sub in her car, and not plan on changing mine over until hers have been in for awhile, probably will change mine in June. That way I can tell if her sub doesnt sound right and is going south because of the box. The sub she has in her car this very minute is a 10" rockford fosgate dual 4 ohm. When I install mine, I will turn on the subsonic filter to where it needs to be, and set my gain at the lowest and work my way up.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

You can get those subs still; I have mine in the fFor Sale section right nowimproperly tuned box - Page 2 -- posted image. (shameless plug...).

You should be safe using either amp on either setup - just watch and listen to make sure the low tones aren't going too low and unloading the sub in the vented box - you'll be able to hear it if it does.

Anyway, I can understand your concern - but there's a reason you like the way her sigle 10" sounds - it's in a vented box and not a bandpass. But if you are seriously in love with your bandpass, so be it...

-Matt

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Im only in love with the way mine sound because I havent heard them in a ported box yet. Once I hear them in my ported boxes, that will probably change. When I had bought her sub, it was in a ported box. That sub in a ported box with the amp she has just did not cut it. So I made a ported box for it but I made the port too wide. So what I will be doing is making a 3rd ported box (same as the 2 that will be put in my car) and will be putting in the earthquake sub that I had bought from a friend. That will then be hers. The box that has the too big of a port will then be packed in till i get the right size. It needs to be packed in a total of 6 inches. Then that box and sub will stay down in my room or maybe I will sell it. The earthquake sub will take its place and I am hoping that it wont blow. I then wont switch mine over until June at the earliest. The only thing that sucks is that I cant fit the 2 boxes in my trunk If I put them in through the trunk itself. I will need to put the back seat down and slide them in that way. The problem is that in order to do that, I need to remove my 3 amps which are currently between the bandpass box and the back of the seat.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic