icon

improperly tuned box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
another thing.... What would be the best way to face the subs? If I face them at the back of the trunk, then I will only have 1 inch (give or take) from the front of the sub to the back of the trunk. If I face them towards the back seat, I will have atleast 8 inches of space because those 8 inches is where my amps are, and the subs would be driving above the amps. Im just afraid there isnt enough space between the subs and the trunk liner and could possibly mess up with subs.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

If the subs are in the trunk of a car, they will probably sound better facing the rear, but with the box all the way in the front of the trunk. If it's a hatchback, probably with the subs at the very back of the tunk, but facing up and forward.

Trial and error my friend, trial and error...

-Matt

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

1 inch between the subs and the truck lid? Eewww... You may have to face them forwards! If you face them rearwards, the surrounds may hit the lid = not too good.

Oh, and from my experience i've had better SQ with them faced forwards and better output faced rearwards.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
Well today I went and switched my subs from the bandpass to the 2 ported boxes. The subs sounded like crap, no matter if I had them facing the back or the cabin. I had to max out my amp to get the bass as loud as it was in the bandpass. Tomorrow I will be switching those out and putting back in my bandpass. Oh, those boxes are the same exact size as the one in my fiance's car along with the same sub. Hers sounds just like mine did in the bandpass (frequenzy wise) but not as loud. I was embarrassed to hear my subs in the ported boxes though. So I guess my bandpass box was a good box after all.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
was the ported box designed and built for the sub or was it a prefab?
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
Ok heres the story... My friend had bought this sub (same as mine) from the same store that I got mine from. The box his was in the shop made to the subs specs. He just sold the sub and box to me. That box was shot so I went and made 3 more the axact same as that one. I put that sub in the one box and put it in my fiance's car. I loved the way it sounded so I went and switched mine from my bandpass to the ported. The problem was that they sounded bad. The low frequencies were there but the overall sound wasnt very loud.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic