icon

fi btl blown?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
My friend has an FI BTL 18" fully loaded in about a 7-8 foot cube box being pushed by a Hifonics 2600 watt amp. It stopped working about a week ago, and he's had it working great (and pounding tits) for 2-3ish months. We checked out why it wasn't working and the terminal cup melted and the insulation around the stripped end of the wires on outside of the terminal cup were also burnt. We got a new terminal cup, and after a few days that also melted. Then we took the terminal cup out and checked the sub out and the wires going from the terminal cup INSIDE to the subs actual terminals were melted and there were burnt spots on the voice coils.
What the hell has happened to this sub. It looks like we accidentally threw a cigarette in the port and it exploded inside the sub (joke). Help me out guys so we don't mess up another 500 dollar sub lol.
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
Well, it's a 2000 watt speaker, and you overpowered it.  Was the amp also clipping?  Plus, what was the tuning frequency of the enclosure and did you use a subsonic filter?
Support the12volt.com
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
But I thought BTLs could pretty much handle anything. When you say its a 2000 watt speaker do you mean it peaks at 2000 or RMS? Talk about a huge mistake in reading the description of the product if we thought the 2000 watts was RMS..
I may sound stupid but I honestly don't know what a subsonic filter is. And the amp had no troubles as far as clipping as I knew. As far as the tuning goes I honestly don't know. My friend did the box to spec on the RE website. Probably not super accurate, but we're novices here.
Thanks for the quick reply. :)
Sasquatch...
jmalbright 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
Even if it is rated for 2000wrms, you said that you were feeding it 2600rms, which may explain your problem.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
Thermally the BTL can handle more than 2000 watts...if the power is clean.
My guess is that there was clipping. 2600 watts should be nothing for the BTL if you know what you are doing
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
Either a clipped signal or an incorrect enclosure.  In any case, the speaker got fried.
Support the12volt.com
thunda_hawg 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

was the box ported? if not the sub more then likely burned up without any means of cooling . also you say "fully loaded" did you perhaps get the competition style woofer that has the voice coils designed only for short blips at a time?  The BTL can handle more then there rated power but only for the amont of time they are designed for.

89' 240sx
Rockford t8004
boston z6 comp.
eclipse 3432
polk MM 8"
Taylor owes Joe a Sandwich
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
porting a box does not improve power handling that substantially to fry the coils
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

It was ported to spec.  2600 watts of Hifonics power.  I just don't see what could have gone wrong. 

I know Hifonics isn't the best company for what you call "clean watts", but it seemed like a good choice. 

Back to the subject,  I over powered it?

Sasquatch...
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
ARE you using a subsonic filter set to the tuning frequency of the box???
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic