icon

ho alternator companies

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
twobig86 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 93 Honda Civic SI - 1.6 L and I am looking for a 200-300 amp alternator - higher the better.

Problem is that I have been trying to contact High output alternator . com and they are extremely bad with customer response.  I am still going to try contacting them through their local number however I need the alternator as fast as possible and wanted to know other reputable companies to look into if I cant get one through this other company.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Powermaster or Irragi Alts would also be good choices
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
mrrairai 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have an Iraggi 260A and haven't had any problems with it.
Kenwood XXV-05V
Clarion 7" Monitor
(4) T212D2
(1) RF T40001BD
(1) RF Power 750X
(2) T162S Components
(1) 3Sixty.2 (Not installed)
(2) Powermaster D3100s
mrrairai 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the double post but I didn't know there wasn't an edit button. Remember that some HO alts don't put out as much at idle as the stock ones.
Kenwood XXV-05V
Clarion 7" Monitor
(4) T212D2
(1) RF T40001BD
(1) RF Power 750X
(2) T162S Components
(1) 3Sixty.2 (Not installed)
(2) Powermaster D3100s
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

mrrairai wrote:
some HO alts don't put out as much at idle as the stock ones

Well this would be sort of critical huh?

Does ur Irragi do that?  If not, what, precisely, is the voltage at idle?  Does it rise *at all* when RPM increases?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
calum 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

mrrairai wrote:
some HO alts don't put out as much at idle as the stock ones

Well this would be sort of critical huh?

Does ur Irragi do that?  If not, what, precisely, is the voltage at idle?  Does it rise *at all* when RPM increases?

It's not the voltage you need to worry about droping, that should be stable through the entire rpm range.  The alternators current capacity will raise as the alternators speed rises though.  If your voltage drops at idle it shouldn't go below about 13 volts, but that will vary slightly with some cars.  I'm using an external regulator instead of the PCM to control my voltage, which stays at a rock steady 14.2 volts.

twobig86 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
any contact info for these companies?
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

calum wrote:
It's not the voltage you need to worry about droping, that should be stable through the entire rpm range. 

Hmm.

Okay - it SHOULD be stable throughout the RPM range - but this isn't often the case with rewound or bolt-on aftermarket HO alternators.  The key is sort of the topic of the thread - which companies offer competent build quality.

The point is - in general, rewound alternators do NOT produce full voltage at idle - certainly nothing approaching 13v - most "HO" alts I've seen hover around 10.5v ~11v @ idle - this is highly, highly problematic.

calum wrote:
I'm using an external regulator instead of the PCM to control my voltage, which stays at a rock steady 14.2 volts.I'm using an external regulator instead of the PCM to control my voltage, which stays at a rock steady 14.2 volts.

Could you describe this process in detail please?  PCM?  How would the OP go about doing this?

calum 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

calum wrote:
It's not the voltage you need to worry about droping, that should be stable through the entire rpm range. 

Hmm.

Okay - it SHOULD be stable throughout the RPM range - but this isn't often the case with rewound or bolt-on aftermarket HO alternators.  The key is sort of the topic of the thread - which companies offer competent build quality.

The point is - in general, rewound alternators do NOT produce full voltage at idle - certainly nothing approaching 13v - most "HO" alts I've seen hover around 10.5v ~11v @ idle - this is highly, highly problematic.

calum wrote:
I'm using an external regulator instead of the PCM to control my voltage, which stays at a rock steady 14.2 volts.I'm using an external regulator instead of the PCM to control my voltage, which stays at a rock steady 14.2 volts.

Could you describe this process in detail please?  PCM?  How would the OP go about doing this?

Wow, 11 volts...  I had no idea they were that bad.  An external regulator isn't going to help that at all, you'll need a smaller alternator pulley to spin the alternator faster to help that.

I use an external regulator because the PCM (powertrain control modual) liked to screw with the voltage.  It would have it anywhere from 13 volts to 15 volts, depending on the weather conditions and temperature of the battery. 

To install an external voltage regulator you need a regulator ( http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1066676,parttype,4884) and a plug for it ( http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1066676,parttype,2644) .  The wiring is pretty simple, you'll need to locate the small gauge switched 12 volt wire going to the alternator by using a voltmeter.  With the cars engine shut off and the key in the on position look for 12 volts on one wire.  Tap into this wire and splice that into the middle pin on the regulator plug.  Cut the other small gauge wire to the alternator and splice that into the other wire on the regulator.  Then mount the regulator to the chassie of the car as the body of the regulator is its ground. 

ho alternator companies -- posted image.

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

calum wrote:
Wow, 11 volts...  I had no idea they were that bad

The first rewound/rebuilt HO alt I purchased hovered around ~10.5 @ idle - this created SO many problems - the idle voltage was so low that *everytime* you accelerated the head lights would very noticably brighten....it was terrible.

calum wrote:
An external regulator isn't going to help that at all, you'll need a smaller alternator pulley to spin the alternator faster to help that.

And then belt tension becomes a critical issue - how easy is this to deal with?

calum wrote:
To install an external voltage regulator

Wow - interesting info - Now you can do this any car?  Not just a 70's Chrysler? 

Wouldn't the alternator have a voltage regulator on it already?  And this is supposed to control the voltage coming off the alt at idle when the voltage otherwise wouldn't be up to snuff?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic