icon

Amp Mount on Sub Box Myth?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
choover567 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
Just curious before i poke holes in the back seats of my new car as i install my amps.... Is mounting the amp to the speaker box really bad for the amp? or is that just a myth?
Chris - 97 Toyota 4Runner
Alpine CDA-9884
Kicker SX1250.1
Kicker 15" L7
srh23 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
I may be wrong, but i have always had my amps on the box and i have never had any problems.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
It is not a myth that vibration from a sub enclosure can damage some amps, but if the enclosure is properly contructed it shouldn't vibrate enough to damage any amp with good build quality.
Support the12volt.com
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
I have installed 2 amps in trunks where the costumers wanted trunk space. The only way to do this was to mount the amp to the box itself. I dont drill the screws completly through the box. I also put a foam padding between the amp and box to protect the amp from vibration (if any). I then dont tighten the screws down completly tight, just enough to keep the amp in place. I havent had a single problem that way.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

The wood box will most likely vibrate less then the metal backing on the back of the seat.  Any quality amp won't be harmed.

The big disadvantage, in my opinion, is that if someone were to break in to your car they can grab everyting at once and take off with it.  If your amp is securely mounted to the metal in the turnk most likely they won't take the time to get it.

Kevin Pierson
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

The wood box will most likely vibrate less then the metal backing on the back of the seat.  Any quality amp won't be harmed.

The big disadvantage, in my opinion, is that if someone were to break in to your car they can grab everyting at once and take off with it.  If your amp is securely mounted to the metal in the turnk most likely they won't take the time to get it.

Or, if the whole box is mounted down to the trunk somehow like it should be, they can't get anything:)

-Matt

lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
A different point of view.  Many insurance companies around here are refusing to cover stolen equipment if not permanetly attached to car.  Strange when they will pay for a missing box, but not the amp.
KPierson 
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
greenbroncoguy wrote:
KPierson wrote:

Or, if the whole box is mounted down to the trunk somehow like it should be, they can't get anything:)

-Matt

In most cars though, securely mounting the box will prevent access to the spare tire.  I don't care how much people like their music, a spare tire is more important then bass.

Of course the spare tire is one more reason not to mount the amp on the box, as the wiring on the amp can make it a bit harder to get to the tire (although I doubt it would prevent anyone from getting to it if they needed it).

Kevin Pierson
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  

choover wrote:
Just curious before i poke holes in the back seats of my new car as i install my amps.... Is mounting the amp to the speaker box really bad for the amp? or is that just a myth?

I've never seen an amp break that wasn't mounted to a box - I'm not sure if this is b/c it speaks to the rest of the install or the habits of the person using the system - but I've never seen an amp just break for no reason unless it was box-mounted. 

I do agree that with a quality amplifier, this is probably not an issue.  But I wouldn't do it. 

If I were going to do it - I'd do it just like this:

audioman wrote:
I also put a foam padding between the amp and box to protect the amp from vibration (if any). I then dont tighten the screws down completly tight, just enough to keep the amp in place.[/quotes]

Sounds good to me.

KP wrote:

In most cars though, securely mounting the box will prevent access to the spare tire.  I don't care how much people like their music, a spare tire is more important then bass.

I totally disagree.  And I have a little trunk.  So I bought a AAA membership.  I'll keep jammin' while I wait for a flat-bed. Amp Mount on Sub Box Myth? -- posted image.

[quote=Ispker]

A different point of view.  Many insurance companies around here are refusing to cover stolen equipment if not permanetly attached to car.  Strange when they will pay for a missing box, but not the amp.

Things like this are regulated on a state level - each state will have laws that tell insurance companies what it will and will not pay for - and often under what circumstances the insurance company is responsible for payment.  This is the epitome of a "heavily regulated" industry.

Of course, additional coverages can usually be purchased from reputable insurance companies, but the last time I priced a policy rider that added car stereo coverage, my premium went up 20%.

Most states let insurance companies off the hook completely for vandalism/stealing of anything that isn't OEM on the car - this "bolted to the car" thing is - in most states, erroneous.  Things that can be removed with screw drivers or ratchets are not "permanently attached to the car" (although aftermarket head-units tend to be covered without exception) and are generally not, in legalese, "part of the car." 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
KPierson 
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

Things that can be removed with screw drivers or ratchets are not "permanently attached to the car" and are generally not, in legalese, "part of the car."

Wait a second here, I can remove the motor from my car with screw drivers and ratchets, does that mean its not a part of the car???  haha 

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic