the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Amp Mount on Sub Box Myth?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
True story... the "part of the car" crap. In California, ANYTHING (with the exception of the aforementioned aftermarket head-unit) will not be covered under a STANDARD insurance policy. I've seen it all too many times, and replaced all too many systems right out of the owner's pocket.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

choover wrote:
Just curious before i poke holes in the back seats of my new car as i install my amps.... Is mounting the amp to the speaker box really bad for the amp? or is that just a myth?

I've never seen an amp break that wasn't mounted to a box - I'm not sure if this is b/c it speaks to the rest of the install or the habits of the person using the system - but I've never seen an amp just break for no reason unless it was box-mounted. 

I do agree that with a quality amplifier, this is probably not an issue.  But I wouldn't do it. 

If I were going to do it - I'd do it just like this:

audioman wrote:
I also put a foam padding between the amp and box to protect the amp from vibration (if any). I then dont tighten the screws down completly tight, just enough to keep the amp in place.[/quotes]

Sounds good to me.

KP wrote:

In most cars though, securely mounting the box will prevent access to the spare tire.  I don't care how much people like their music, a spare tire is more important then bass.

I totally disagree.  And I have a little trunk.  So I bought a AAA membership.  I'll keep jammin' while I wait for a flat-bed. Amp Mount on Sub Box Myth? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Ispker wrote:

A different point of view.  Many insurance companies around here are refusing to cover stolen equipment if not permanetly attached to car.  Strange when they will pay for a missing box, but not the amp.

Things like this are regulated on a state level - each state will have laws that tell insurance companies what it will and will not pay for - and often under what circumstances the insurance company is responsible for payment.  This is the epitome of a "heavily regulated" industry.

Of course, additional coverages can usually be purchased from reputable insurance companies, but the last time I priced a policy rider that added car stereo coverage, my premium went up 20%.

Most states let insurance companies off the hook completely for vandalism/stealing of anything that isn't OEM on the car - this "bolted to the car" thing is - in most states, erroneous.  Things that can be removed with screw drivers or ratchets are not "permanently attached to the car" (although aftermarket head-units tend to be covered without exception) and are generally not, in legalese, "part of the car." 

This is not exactly ture; insurance companies are required to submitt a rating plan to the state, which outlines what it doesn, and does not plan to cover and how it will rate it policy holders. The state is not the one telling the insurance company what it will and will not cover - it's all in your contract when your policy is written.

Granted, each state's laws will be different with regards to how the insurance industry is regualted, but for the most part, it's the nisurance compaines themselves that decide what they will and will not cover (as it will be outlined in your insurance binder, or, "contract").

Also, EVERYTHING one you car can be taken off with screwdrivers/rachets/wrenchesAmp Mount on Sub Box Myth? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.. And regarding this issue, some insurance companies and towing yards will not let you remove anything out of a wrecked vehicle that is bolted down. Ask me how I know all of thisAmp Mount on Sub Box Myth? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image....

[QUOTE=haemphyst]True story... the "part of the car" crap. In California, ANYTHING (with the exception of the aforementioned aftermarket head-unit) will not be covered under a STANDARD insurance policy. I've seen it all too many times, and replaced all too many systems right out of the owner's pocket.

And this is true for pretty much every insurance company across the country (not all though...); but it has nothing to do with state law - it's the insurance companies themselves that do not write this type of risk under a regualr family automotive insurance policy. Most of them (the good ones anyway) will allow you to buy additional coverage to cover aftermarket equipment, or you simply state the value of your added customizations, and your policy will be adjusted accordingly :)

-Matt

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
Here in N. Cali "Comprehensive" coverage will cover the loss or theft of stereo gear (up to the limit of the coverage, of course.)
Support the12volt.com
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Here in N. Cali "Comprehensive" coverage will cover the loss or theft of stereo gear (up to the limit of the coverage, of course.)

Really? I wonder how that works when there's no set "limit" on comprehensive coverage? Coverages such as Bodily Injury, Property Damage (which are liability coverages) have set limits (10/20, 25/50, 50/100, 100/300, etc) that can be maxed out during a payout. But comprehensive and collision coverages (which are physical damage coverages) do not usually have a set limit; they simply pay out up to the actual cash value of the automobile.

At least that's how it works in Fla, you Cali peeps are weird anyway :)

-Matt

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

KP wrote:
Wait a second here, I can remove the motor from my car with screw drivers and ratchets, does that mean its not a part of the car

See - the problem with your analogy is that the car ceases to be a car (from a certain perspective, anyway) when it no longer has the engine.  Hence, "permanently attached to the car." 

I mean - try swapping the rims on your car okay.  New wheels get stolen, is the insurance company going to buy you OEM or the nifty BBS wheels?  Unless you buy extra coverage?

greenbronco wrote:
The state is not the one telling the insurance company what it will and will not cover - it's all in your contract when your policy is written

greenbronco wrote:
each state's laws will be different with regards to how the insurance industry is regualted, but for the most part, it's the nisurance compaines themselves that decide what they will and will not cover

". . . based upon the regulatory environment of the host state" - would be the way I would finish that sentence. 

Certainly bronco - I'm not suggesting that any given insurance policy isn't available for any given price.  What I am saying is that steadily encroaching state laws have made it possible for insurance companies to exclude stereo gear as part of a standard comprehensive claim.  This is a *complex* topic - but the bottom line is that 10 or 15 years ago, you would have found states not very amenable to adjusting the legal definition of "part of the car" - fast forward a few years of geometrical increase in stereo sales - and theft  - and suddenly insurance companies have reason to change what happens during a vehicular break-in to trigger a "no pay situation."

This goes MUCH father than car insurance.  How much of what will actually destroy your home does homeowners insurance actually cover?  *cough*gulfcoast*cough*

You know - lobbyism, soft money, and all that.  Insurance companies have had more luck in some states than others.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

^ Point taken, and agreed/

-Matt

audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2008 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
I dont really like fastening my amps to my boxes. I wont have any trunk space reguardless. I have 2 amps which I have mounted on top of eachother (made a shelf for them). But in about 3 weeks, I will be switching out my bandpass box for 2 ported boxes which are already made. I dont want to mess with pulling my amps out so the only way to get them in is through the trunk. The problem is that I dont think I can get them both in. In order to get them in, I will need to turn them 90 degrees, slide them in, then turn them. The only problem is that I dont think I will have enough room to turn them with the trunk hinges. Im ganna be very wized if I find out that they wont fit. I made the exact same box (same size and sub) for my fiance's car, she has the same car as me, so i know how they need to go in. But if I am able to get them in, that will make it extremly tough to steal them from my car. They would need to turn them and whatever to get them out. And would need them out in order to get to my amps. Maybe I will need to add a lock to my back seats and have it run off the trunk release button on my remote, buts thats for another forum.
efx3307 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2008 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
On the insurance issue...in ohio its not covered had my system stolen on A COLLEGE VISIT!!! an my insurance wouldnt cover it so a little over $1200 bucks was gone! so def try for the extra coverage its def worth it
Bentley
davngr 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
another install location that can cause your amplifier to fail is behind panels with no circualtion and upside down installs.  as far as the insurance/thef thing i always mount amps under seats when ever possible.
life is a comedy to think, a tragedy to feel
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic