icon

Fiberglass and plastic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
messiah9966 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
I was building some kick pods for a vehicle and i wanted that factory fit. To make it easier i thought i would use the factory kickpanel as my backing. i attached the speker rings to it, strecthed some grill cloth around the pieces and glued the cloth on to the back of the kickpanel and then resined it. When i was sanding it down i noticed that the glassed cloth was separating and peeling back from the factory plastic panel! How do you get the glass to stick and become part of the factory plastic?
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
you can use dura mix.....it will adhere to the plastic and allow you to glass to it. it pretty much sticks to everything and your glass will stick to it quite well.
here is a link to a site that you can get it from....
http://www3.3m.com/search/search?request=searchKeyword&query=duramix+
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
I recently read some where that there is a chemical that can be mixed in to polyester resin along with some scraps of ABS plastic to form a final mix that will bond with any abs plastic part. But now I can’t find that article. Dose anyone Know what chemical this is?
speakermanshead
audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2003 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
it was mobile electronics industry mag. it was a 50/50 mixture of MEK and abs scraps. it does work. it takes a bit of time for the MEK to soften the abs. it is good for sticking 2 plactic pieces together. you will want to sand the 2 pieces with some 36 or 50 grit to give it more adhesion. it also works well for seaming 2 pieces of abs together.
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2003 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Another way of permanently attaching fiberglass to ABS, is to make "fiberglass rivets" per say. Drill holes in the ABS, and fiberglass some matting and resin to each side of the hole allowing the resin to bond inbetween.
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

audiomechanic wrote:
it was mobile electronics industry mag. it was a 50/50 mixture of MEK and abs scraps. it does work. it takes a bit of time for the MEK to soften the abs. it is good for sticking 2 plactic pieces together. you will want to sand the 2 pieces with some 36 or 50 grit to give it more adhesion. it also works well for seaming 2 pieces of abs together.

Hey, what is this MEK stuff? is it the same stuff the military uses?

audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
if they shop in the paint section of home depot ....
it can be used as a thinner for resin....or in this case to soften plastic.....there are a bunch of uses.
it is pretty much the same as acetone...just evaporates slower.
lycoming 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

You can't stick any kind of fiberglass to ABS plastic. not if it is under any load anyway. As for the MEK and ABS pieces for glueing ABS -- have you heard of ABS glue? Plumbing section of your local hardware store. It's cheeper than MEK.

Note: MEK is totaly different than MEKP

sh2owski 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
MEK is Methyl Ethyl Keytone.  It's a pretty common hydrocarbon solvent.  Look at your local DIY Home improvement store in the paint section.
dishshacker200 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
the best thing that i would sugest would be a product from norton  or proform  ita metal bonding adhisive bond almost anything together metal to plastic plastic to metal smc to metal woos to smc  ...  you get the ieda just go donwn to youre local automitive shop it will be under autobody  ask them for it  they come in difrent  drying time the fastis is 3 minute and the longest is about 1 hour  this is good stuff  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic