icon

Crimestopper or Autopage?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scuba1954 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  

I have been looking for a two way FM paging alarm with remote start and a LCD remote. The last alarm I installed was ten years ago. I am not afraid of installing a new alarm as long as I have some kind of tech support to call if needed.  I was going to buy a Crimestopper CS 2015 FM, but an internet buddy said NO WAY! He said that he has done a lot of installs and the crimestoppers are killers to install. He recommended the Autopage RS 750 LCD, told me they are a whold lot easier to install. Is this true, which should I get?  I know I can get tech support from crimestopper but I don' t know about autopage. Someone else posted a question asking about installation manuals for autopage,  how do I get around this problem. I know I can download an installation manual for the crimestopper unit. Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
You will get tech support from Commando if you get it from them. Take a look:
Commando FM-760
This is the same unit essentially. The only difference is that the temp sensor and the knock sensor are additional options, but the knock sensor is almost useless in my mind, since i have never used it. Also, from what I have heard the Autopage does not have an onboard shock sensor, but the Commando does. Somebody should correct me if i am wrong on that one.   
You can also get most of your support from this site.
You should also take a look at this 2 way unit from Commando:
Commando FM-5005
It doesnt have a temp sensor or vibrating mode, but it is a very nice unit.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
scuba1954 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

As Charlie Brown would say AACCCCKKKK!  Now another alarm. I did go check that out and it looks remarkably like the Autopage 750.  I see that they do have tech support and that is important. I see by your signature that you are an Installer/Dealer.  Is this alarm made by the same people who makes the autopage? Do you have any close up views of the LCD remote?

Another concern is the bypass start module. I checked the commando site and they show that the PKF module would work on my 2001 Ranger. I have been to another bypass site and they reference that it would work on my truck if it was built before July 2000, but my 2001 Ranger was built 12/2000. I have a friend whose ranger was built 8/01 and his PKF works. I want the keyless module because I live in Ohio and have heard that the keyed module fails sometimes in the cold. 

My Ranger also goes into sleep mode after 45 minutes, what would be needed to wake up the truck when remote starting. 

Sorry for all the questions, I just want an alarm that is not over complicated to install. I have heard that some companies alarms are much easier than others to install.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
Well, I was thinking about how to explain the installation process with regards to a particular unit being "Difficult" to install versus one that is "easier", but I couldn't explain it well. All alarms have the same basic connections which makes any alarm equal as far as wire connections. Some units are easier to program options than others but that should be a factor in buying an alarm since you really only do it once.
Anyway, Yes they are actually made by the same company, but I think the only internal difference is the onboard shock sensor that the Commando model offers. I dont know for sure that Autopage doesnt have the onboard sensor, but a guy I know bought one from a wholesaler and it did not have one, and his install manual skipped that feature too. It is also the same unit as the Marksman M10 or something like that. I have heard that the Commando manual is a better translation than the Autopage manual.
Take a look here:
Ford GEM wake up diagram
Look at Diagram #7 and I also included an up close picture of the transmitter. I didn't have any so I just took a quick one of mine. They are not the best shots.
You can download the manuals from the Commando website on the left side of the page on the link that I posted earlier.
I couldnt say if that keyless bypass module will work on your truck. It doesnt look like it would.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
chuckles 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
I have installed about a dozen of the crimestopper RS 2011 ,which is the same as the 2015 without the remote pager, and had no real problems. I like the features of the CS units, like the auto-restart every 4 hours, you can set it with or without the shock sensor if your on a hill or an incline, you can even buy a temp sensor that will start the car if the temp drops below what you set it for.     Chuck
dfiddy 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
I have just installed the CrimeStopper 2015Fm on my girlfriends truck and i have to say it wasn't all that hard and I am by no means an experienced installer (yet...:) ) just remember when and if you do the 2015FM to plug the antenna in properly ie black end to black end and white end to white end...otherwise you won't have any response at all. The range is phenomenal....very pleased with it.
scuba1954 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Now I feel like a tennis player back and forth.  How do I make up my mind? I read where the commando unit will work up to 2500 feet away. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic