the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

kicker kx 650.4

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
terry osborn 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
I try my best to refrain from "Dumb Questions" but occasionally i'll let one out just to see if anyone is listening.
My good sense(I stay away from that common stuff) tells me that it shouldn't make any difference what position this board is in during testing.
However,with the back of board facing up or on it's side(as this was the case for all data that was collected)I get results very different than if i test with the back down and components facing up.
It's near impossible to get to all the components in this position,but my curious nature led me to the four "740's". The voltage's on the 1st pair=48vdc on pins 2&3.2nd pair=0vdc. Flip the thing and the same pins read -167vdc.
Could this be because the board is in contact with a bench rug when the back is down? Just wondered what your thoughts were.
I've noticed one thing about "Experts". When one shows up,someone gets hurt!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 16, 2009 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  

With all of the problems that other people are having with the supplies, it is very likely that there are several bad connections on the circuit boards.  You should not be getting different readings, that is definitely not being caused by the surface you have the board sitting on.  You may want to check for broken legs on all heat sink mounted components.  Easiest way is to heat the joint up on the bottom of the board.  The broken legs will move, you will see what I mean if you have a broken one.  Also any where there is a feed through (a trace that ends at a hole in the board.  Then travels through the board and continues on the other side of the board)  You may want to heat them up, remove the solder and solder a wire or leg of a resistor through the hole.

I remember E mailing you a picture with what I thought was a bad solder joint, did you add some solder to it?

terry osborn 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2009 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
Good to know that i'm on the right path. I certainly couldn't see a (for the most part) non-conductive surface making any difference.However,i'm also aware of what can be lurking in unexpected places,such as anything that contains a sufficient amount of poly.I did solder the joint you had circled,and it was broken.It was one of the mov's.I don't know how you seen that in a picture,i looked that backside over with a 10x jeweler's lens several times and still missed it.
I'll check the joints of the 740's under heat and let you know whats up with that.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 17, 2009 at 5:43 AM / IP Logged  
Look at the picture again, notice the ring around the leg of the component.  Not the circle I drew, but the ring in the solder.  When the joint breaks, it almost always makes a ring like that.
terry osborn 
Posted: June 17, 2009 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
No need to look at the picture again,when it was identified(by the Master)the rookie took another look,and there it was.The break was so clean it appeared(to me)to be discoloration of the solder,not a defined break as one might invision.
Grasshopper learned valuable lesson from Sensei...: Question and scrutinize appearance.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

I know you didn't tucker out on me.

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
terry osborn 
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
No way. I've been waiting on another failed supply to arrive(same brand and 10 amps larger)for parts.
Page of 8

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic