about to build the enclosures

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thunderplains 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2009 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

Ok,

This is my first run at fiberglassing enclosures, seems pretty straight forward and not too hard to do, So I am going to give it a shot.  The truck is totally dynamatted and ready to go, so here is where I need some help.

I have the rings for the encloures, speaker spec says .88CF, would 1.0cf give me the same response, or should I shoot for as close to accurate as possible?  I read how to calculate space, should be a no brainer..

Second, the enclosures are going on the left and right hand corners of my truck (I wouldl ike to have somewhat of a usable trunk :), and once in place, they will look a little odd, IS there a way to make custom trunk liner?  like the liner you pull out when you dynamat?  it's thin and flexable and I would like to make a nice covering that covers the enclosures (except the driver) that flows with the trunk. thoughts?

Last, How many layers of matting over the fleece?  I know this has probably been asked a million times, but is there a "perfect number" for a solid box?  and what weight should be used?

Any other hints or tricks would be helpful..

Thanks again..

whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2009 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
Well it depends on what subs you are using on what a difference in size will do to the response. Typically sealed enclosures will not have too much of a change in response with a small difference in volume. If you are asking simply because 1 cubic foot is simpler to calculate internal volume for then I would say that the subwoofer displacement would make it closer to 0.88 cubic foot if you were to make the enclosure 1 cubic foot large.
There are many places you can get the trunk liner at. Even stores like PepBoys have it that you can buy. Another place is parts express. You can find it on the link here. They also have enclosure carpets that are pretty nice. If you want a close match to OEM then I would go to a local upholstery shop and see what they have.
The number of layers you should add on top of the fleece depends specifically on your install. Every shape/install will need a slightly different amount. So there is no typicaly amount that I go for. I just add more and more until I am satisfied that the enclosure will not flex and will be very strong. With a smaller enclosure you may not need to add many layers to get the strength required.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic