icon

key no longer works astrostar equipped

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
foodstick 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

I hope I can explain this easily for you.

My wifes 98 Lumina had an astrostar rs 613 installed. Everything worked perfect. Then suddenly the ignition key no longer will do anything when turned to the crank position. It will not engage the starter,not even a hint of a sound....There was no indication of the switch going bad before this happened.

The car will still start using the remote. It seemed strange that the switch would go so quickly with no warning..Well today I accidently turned the key to the CRANK position while the car was already running, it threw the starter out and hit the flywheel (not good I know)

Is there anyway we have accidently locked out the manual ignition switch? some weird combination of button pushing? Would possibly a reset by unhooking the battery help? I hate to mess it up worse and not even be able to start it with the remote..

Any help appreciated,Foodstick

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 12, 2009 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

Did you do the install, or was it installed at a shop?

If it's a shop, and they are still around..... take it back!

foodstick 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2009 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

It was installed by a shop, I stopped one day to talk to them and they really didn't seem to care, My warranty is over I am sure.. I may have to try them again....

One thing that always worried me was the day they did the install was a bad blizzard. when I picked up the car right before closing the thing didn't work right. The boss made the tech stay late and get it working..it always made me nervous he might have hurried it...

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2009 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Did you take it back after it wasn't working correctly? Did the ignition switch work at all after the install? Gm vehicles are notorious for bad ignition switches. Any kind of security light flashing on the dash cluster when you try to start with the key? I would get a multimeter, and find a wiring diagram for your vehicle , and start testing wires at the ignition cylinder.
foodstick 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2009 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

Yes everything worked correctly after the original install. You could start it with the key. After 1.5-2 years the key wouldn't crank the starter motor..never..not once.

I did go back in and just try to talk to someone,,they seemed less than interested about it...

Then I accidently over rotated the key while the car was running and immediately the starter hit the flywheel.

I have noticed no new or unusual flashing on the dash when trying to start, Its my wifes car and I am not even sure I can compare what is normally lighting up at start.

My experience with starter switchs is they usually go bad and you can shake or wiggle them and get a hit or miss sometimes, however I have not owned enough Cheys to know if the switch tends to go completly at once

. However the incident today makes me believe its not the switch.

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2009 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
I would take a multimeter to the starter wire of your vehicle. Being that it is just a remote start, I doubt it has a starter kill ( but possible) it might have an antigrind relay on the system. I don't know astrostart stuff, so I can't tell you for sure. Get up under the dash, and make sure the starter wire coming from the ignition switch is not cut or interupted somehow. If it is, I would start looking here.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 13, 2009 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, it would have to either be the switch or the wiring coming off the switch (but before the remote start).

I would verify that the starter output wire is soldered to your existing starter wire - if there is a crimp type connection it is possible that the crimp has failed (or broken the wire). 

If the car will crank when remote started chances are slim that you have an anti grind relay in there.

The quickest way to verify if it is the switch or a wiring issue would be to follow mikvots advice and throw a meter on the starter output and turn the switch to the "crank" position.

Kevin Pierson
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2009 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

Yep...Test the starter  wires output at ignition switch...Check bypass...!

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2009 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like a problem with however they bypassed the vats system or the relay is defective, its seeing the resistance for remote start but not from the key cylinder, when car is running under remote it is already seeing the proper resistance so it lets the key engage the starter, i would take it to the shop, thye should have had at least a 3yr warranty though some shops give none, if thats the case find a local shop or installer and ask for a quote to repair it
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 14, 2009 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
I believe the standard in the industry is lifetime warranty on labor/install (if it fails from an install issue) and the normal manufacturerererers warranty on the products.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic