the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

decreasing the pulse duration

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aviator172 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I have a situation where my aftermarket alarm does not have a wire that is suitable for activating the OEM horn when I set the alarm because it came with a siren (which I don't like and will not be using). Instead, I will rely on the OEM horn for a siren.
(This particular alarm has a remote paging function and will notify me up to a considerable distance so the horn is not really necessary IMO, but it will give me an audible confirmation as I walk away from the Van that the alarm has indeed set).
Problem is, the one wire I found I can use has a full 1 second pulse duration.
So, when I arm the system, the horn blows a bit long for this.
Ideally, I would like for the horn to just "tap" (a very short, quick blast of about 1/3 to 1/2 second blast as I arm the system.
Is there a way to decrease the duration from 1 second to 1/2 a second (or so) on a wire?
thx
aviator172 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
What alarm system is it...? If it is a 2-way system...You normally get a confirmation chirp on the remote...What do you mean "suitable"...? What kind of car...? The public has become pretty numb to sirens and horns...But i think it is a VERY important part of your alarm...Why not use the siren...? The siren helps for the "not very good thief"... with a siren going off...They will most likely get the heck away from the car...! Almost all aftermarket alarms come with a siren...Most usually come with a horn output too...! If you could give a link for the install manual...? Ill peruse it while im home sick*cough*cough*...decreasing the pulse duration -- posted image.
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
aviator172 
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Tommy,
It's a Carvox king eagle CV- 990 I think.
The remote does its thing, I just want the horn to burp once as a louder confirmation.
If someone attacks my Caravan, the factory alarm will go off (OEM horn) and I'll be notified via the pager so I'm not quite as concerned about a siren as I would be without the pager...but nonetheless, the Factory horn will be going off.
The siren sounds blasee and so run of the mill. It's almost boring. So, rather than hang it somewhere and deal with the wiring, I'm omitting it for the reason above.
I got it working, but I used the unsed "arm" wire instead. It works but the horn blows about half a second too long IMO. Intead of a "chirp"...it's a "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep".
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Aviator, look to the relay section here for circuits, tommy, wish you better, aviator ref your last post, on certain Chryslers with resistive multiplex wiring, 200milliamps is not enough to overcome the resistance (s) you need e.g. on the locking system. If your unit only has two wires, it means a low current output signal is generated.  If 6 wires, that means on-board relays and you're OK.
aviator172 
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmmm ....noone ????
I have a situation where my aftermarket alarm does not have a wire that is suitable for activating the OEM horn when I set the alarm because it came with a siren (which I don't like and will not be using). Instead, I will rely on the OEM horn for a siren.
(This particular alarm has a remote paging function and will notify me up to a considerable distance so the horn is not really necessary IMO, but it will give me an audible confirmation as I walk away from the Van that the alarm has indeed set).
Problem is, the one wire I found I can use has a full 1 second pulse duration.
So, when I arm the system, the horn blows a bit long for this.
Ideally, I would like for the horn to just "tap" (a very short, quick blast of about 1/3 to 1/2 second blast as I arm the system.
Is there a way to decrease the duration from 1 second to 1/2 a second (or so) on a wire?
thx
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure there is no horn output...Just because it came with a siren does not mean there is not a horn output...Is there a link to the install manual...? Is the horn + or -...What is the polarity of the sirens output...? It is usually a positive trigger on the siren...If the horn is negative...Maybe you could use a relay and convert the polarity...Just guessing here...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
Adding Light Flash with Siren Output
If your alarm has a positive siren output, but no light flash output, the connections are as shown. If you need more info on light flash start here.

decreasing the pulse duration -- posted image.

Maybe something like this...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
aviator172 
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Tommy,
No, after carefully reviewing each wire and it's purpose, there is no wire that is for attachment to the Factory horn to produce that short armed confirmation beep.
The manufacturer assumed that their siren would be used.
I used the Carvox's factory ARM wire for the horn and it does sound it but it has a longer than desired duration.
Instead of a quick and short little blip of the horn, I get a full 2.5 second blast.
A bit too long and annoying, especially late at night when I arm the alarm.
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

Maybe follow that diagram...Of course it would be the horn instead of the light...I cant think of a unit that does not have a horn output...But anyway...Good Luck...! And is there a link to the manual...I believe what you said...I just have never seen/used this unit...And want to make myself a little bit more familiar with it...Thanks...!

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic