icon

g35 sedan having lock/unlock wiring issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  

Think about a standard 5 wire door locking relay setup (which is what the BCM is doing).

On the UNLOCK relay pin 87A that is connected to ground is no longer connected to ground.  When you unlock the doors the UNLOCK relay is energized and 30 (actuator output) connects to 87 (12vdc) eliminating the burn trace from the circuit.

Kevin Pierson
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
Yup, i thought about it last night, my apologies for the dumb question! g35 sedan having lock/unlock wiring issue - Page 3 -- posted image.
KPierson 
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  
Not a dumb question at all!
Kevin Pierson
choleaoum 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for bumping ANOTHER old post but I finally pulled out the BCM and took a look at it. Nothing looks fried? I hear a click noise coming from relay 3 I believe, and all the doors unlock, 3 doors lock but my driver door doesn't lock back. (I accidently sent a 12v to the wrong wire lol.)
choleaoum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
Update: I took a picture to show everyone, it was actually relay 2 that is clicking when I press lock or unlock. I checked the fuses 3 times, and no fuses are blown.
g35 sedan having lock/unlock wiring issue - Page 3 -- posted image.
KPierson 
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

The part that would be damaged is the trace between the relay and the connector.  Since the connectors sit on top of the board it is hard to see if there is any damage.

What you will need to do is get the service manual and find all three lock/unlock wires.  You can then trace them back to the correct relays and make sure all relays still rest at ground.  From memory I thought all three door lock relays were the same size, but it looks like you have two small and one big.  That would make me assume the big is the lock (since it is common) and the two little ones are the unlock relays (one would be for the drivers door the other the passenger door(s).

Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Posted: April 24, 2010 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't reread the thread but I think my above post is wrong - I think the damaged pin would be on the NC contact of the relay. 
Kevin Pierson
choleaoum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:
I didn't reread the thread but I think my above post is wrong - I think the damaged pin would be on the NC contact of the relay. 
NC Contact of the relay? What do you mean? And I visited your site, very helpful btw.
KPierson 
Posted: April 25, 2010 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
There should be 5 pins per relay - two coil pins, a common pin, a NO (normally open)pin and a NC (normally closed)pin. The NC pin should be grounded as the door lock actuators rest at ground. If you can find a pinout of the two small relays you should be able to locate the NC pin and make sure they are both still grounded. The common pin of the relay should be connected to the actuator outputs (just to verify they are the correct relays).
Kevin Pierson
choleaoum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2010 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmm, I probed relay 3, the two soldered points I can reach because my needle is too big. It rests at 0, then sends a 12v when I unlock the door. Although on relay 2, the 2 pins on the side I can reach it rests at 0, but when I unlock/lock the door, it does nothing. Is relay 2 the issue? If so, would I have to take off relay 2 and resolder it? I would take it to a local mobile shop but they would tear a new hole in my wallet.
I was not able to reach relay 1 as it's between the 2 other relays and my needle is too big to fit inbetween it.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic