the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 5901 won't pop trunk when armed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobileavc 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
I still can't believe this... doesn't make sense.
Installed a Viper 5901 RS/alarm into a 2005 Chevy Astro.
Trunk output RED / white to a relay to pop rear glass in the van. Problem is... won't do it when armed! If we hit the trunk release while armed, the remote confirms by saying "trunk" but it doesn't activate the trunk output. I can only pop the trunk after disarming.
I have to be missing something. I went over the programming options and I don't see it. It's GOTTA be there!
Any help? Please tell me I'm half-blind or fully crazy.
Thanks!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
In a properly setup system, there will be a trigger wire on the trunk or glass.  I would not think that the alarm would pop the trunk when it is armed.  If the alarm has an Aux output channel, it may work with the alarm armed. 
bizill 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2009 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
why would an alarm pop a trunk while armed?  let's pretend you popped the trunk, it'll sound the alarm from being open due to shock or trigger immediately or when you go to close the trunk.  shock sensor.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2009 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  
Always been that way, it's obvious.  Why would you want to pop the trunk with the alarm on?  Clifford used to give you the option, some brands delete the trunk sensor but I can think of one make VAG where the factory alarm would trigger under these circumstances so they play safe. I'd use another aux to do it if that desirable.
mobileavc 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2009 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys. Customer wants to be able to pop his rear glass to load/unload things in the back without unlocking all the other doors - he does curbside deliveries and spends time back and forth between the store and the van. He wanted to make sure nobody could open a door and steal anything from the front seats while he was running back and forth during his deliveries.
I will relay this back to the customer and see what I can do with the Aux 1 output. However, he will trigger the alarm when the glass goes up with the alarm on...
I think the best solution is to have him open the rear glass and THEN arm the car so that the Viper knows that the trunk zone is open after arming.
Thanks to all.
Erik
Mobile AVC
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Posted: October 26, 2009 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
I've never heard of an aftermarket alarm that won't pop the trunk when armed.
On the contrary, most of them are smart enough to ignore the trunk trigger (and usually the shock sensor too) when opening the trunk while armed.
I would guess it's a function of the Astro van itself, or possibly you could have done something strange with your relay.
Some simple troubleshooting is in order:
1. If the alarm is disarmed, but you simply lock the Astro's power door locks, does the trunk release still work? Many cars don't allow trunk release while locked; not sure about the Astro.
2. When armed, does the Viper's RED / white still put out a negative when you hit the trunk release button?
(Or, even faster than breaking out the test light, can you feel/hear your trunk relay click while the Viper is armed?)
3. The positive output that comes from your relay, to open the trunk......does that still test as positive with the Viper armed?
wblakes 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2009 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
i think it might be the Van itself and not the Alarm. For Example, On the Lexus RX that has the power hatch back, it won't open the hatch unless all the doors are unlocked first.
wilkboy 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys, I stumbled opon this thread because I'm having a similar issue.

Not sure if this is related or not, but I just had a 5901 installed in my wifes 07 Elantra. If I unlock first, the trunk release works. I also noticed though, if I press the trunk realease 2 times, the second time it will open the trunk, leaving the doors locked and the rest of the system armed. It's as if the first push "wakes-up" the alarm and the next push opens it. I don't think it should be working this way. I had mine installed by a "professional" though, and I'm hoping to take it back and have them sort it out.

Chris

mobileavc 
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
Guys,
Anyone think this might be it? I simply wired a neg. to positive trunk release relay on the rear glass release motor in the back of the Astro as I normally do to pop a trunk (+)...
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/newsite/pictures/pdfs/GM%205-WIRE%20CARGO%20DOOR%20DIAGRAM.pdf
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
wilkboy wrote:

Hi guys, I stumbled opon this thread because I'm having a similar issue.

Not sure if this is related or not, but I just had a 5901 installed in my wifes 07 Elantra. If I unlock first, the trunk release works. I also noticed though, if I press the trunk realease 2 times, the second time it will open the trunk, leaving the doors locked and the rest of the system armed. It's as if the first push "wakes-up" the alarm and the next push opens it. I don't think it should be working this way. I had mine installed by a "professional" though, and I'm hoping to take it back and have them sort it out.

Chris

Usually you'll get more responses by making a second post, but, that sounds about right for an Elantra with a DEI system.
Here's how the car works:
--The trunk release button doesn't work when the car's factory alarm is armed.
--If you were to turn the key in the driver's door once to the unlock position, this will disarm the car's factory alarm, allowing the button to work.
Here's how the Viper system works:
--When you press the trunk release, it sends a pulse to the wire connected to the car's trunk release button, which the car ignores when it is armed.
--Also, the Viper's "factory alarm disarm" output sends a pulse to the wire that is connected to the driver's door key cylinder, disarming the alarm.
(P.S. This is all assuming that the installer has connected the Viper's wires to where I think he would.)
If you can't live with this the way it is, the installer could disconnect the Viper's trunk-release wire from where it's connected to the Elentra's trunk release button.
He could instead connect his output to a relay, and have the relay directly trigger the car's trunk motor wire that opens the decklid.
He may charge extra, or he may do it for free to make you happy....your mileage may vary.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic