icon

what sub to go with?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
james.jaros 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Ok sounds good I appreciate the help.  I have never built a ported box, only sealed boxes.  I am hoping to go and get all the boards cut and possibly put together tomorrow.  The local wood shop only charges an additional $10 to have all the boards cut to size and since I dont have a truck to throw a board into this is perfect for me!
-under_lucky-
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2009 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
RE MX12 Optimal 2.0 cu. ft. NET. Tune 33Hz
If you intend to double plate the front sub wall(highly recommended). Outside dimentions would be 32"W x 14H X 16.25"L. Port 2.5"W X 12.5"H X 34"L
Figures based on .75" material with front wall double plated(sub wall) 1.5" thick
NET= 2.0 cu. ft.
+Driver displacement = .19 cu. ft.
+Port displacement = 0.61478 cu. ft.
+port divider wall = 0.16005
+additional bracing allowance = 0.124 cu. ft.
GROSS total volume = 3.08883 cu. ft.
This enclosure if ported out the front with the sub the port will need to be folded. A good guide to folding the port can be found here. Box building hints and port folding..
If these dimensions will not fit through your opening let me know.
what sub to go with? - Page 3 -- posted image.
james.jaros 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2009 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, those dimensions are sweet.  I am figuring the port now but would like to double check my idea with you.  I want the sub centered on the 32" L face with the port at one end of that same face.  The port should then be 2.5" W and should be 13.75" with a 90 degree bend that would then extend another 21.5"  along the 32" face.  Is this correct?

32"L x 16.25"W X 14"H. Port 2.5"W X 12.5"H X 34"L

-under_lucky-
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
If those dimension I gave will fit. I can sketch it up for you.
With the outside dimensions I gave, you will be able to get the enclosure inside the trunk right?
james.jaros 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Yes I am 95% sure and I could also just go through the back seat if I had too they both fold down and have plenty of room.  I would greatly appreciate it.
-under_lucky-
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2009 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
Here you go. I would make sure it will fit 100% before having the wood cut. Easier to change dimensions now rather then once it is put together.
RE MX12 Optimal 2.0cu.ft NET Ported Enclosure. 33 Hz
BTW is this not drawn to scale what sub to go with? - Page 3 -- posted image. But the measurements are correct.
james.jaros 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2009 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
Awesome! I really appreciate it. I will double check the measurements today after work and will let you know how it goes either today or tomorrow. After this I will just have to get the sub! LOL I am doing things as I can afford to. Wont be too long though.
-under_lucky-
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2009 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
j.reed wrote:
BTW is this not drawn to scale what sub to go with? - Page 3 -- posted image. But the measurements are correct.
I made a small mistake. Caught it this morning after a bit of sleep, that i sent you the wrong Image. The port wall Inside should be longer Instead of 15.75" it should be 19". If you leave it as 15.75" it will make Fb 34.8Hz. Thats a bit too high. I wish I would have caught this last night. Very sorry. I loaded the pic to photobucket and then found the mistake. I fixed it but i sent the wrong image with the shorter port. Here it is correct one. This time i know i got the right one.
RE MX12 Ported 2.0cu.ft. NET. Fb 33Hz
james.jaros 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2009 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
No problem at all.  I actually had a mishap in making the box today.  I called that local wood store and gave them the dimensions of all the boards I needed and they said no problem we can cut them square.  I picked them up after work then started working only to find that none of the boards were square.  Some were off over an 1/8th inch.  I had to take them all back then the guy who cut them said it was impossible for them to cut square boards cuz the bearings were bad in their table saw.  They ended up giving me the money back but now I have to find a new place that can do that for me.  I live in a small town and there are not a ton of places to choose from is the problem.  But, I do have another place in mind so hopefully tomorrow I can give them all the new dimensions.  Thanks again!
-under_lucky-
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2009 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
Not a problem at all. Most of us here are here to help or to gain knowledge. We are here because we have something in common. The love for audio.
One thing I do a lot to save from pulling a trailer is to go to Home Depot or Lowes. Knowing my measurements i will have them cut the MDF down for me so that i can more easily transport it. Usually just cut into a 4' by 4' Makes it nice to have smaller pieces when cutting it on my table saw and to transport. I don't have $3000 table saw and cutting full 4' x 8' sheets by your self is not much fun.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic