icon

diode protected relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
y2j514 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2010 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Wow thanks - thats pretty cool.  Only problem is I'm having some trouble reading that.  I got the jist of it though.  See the problem is I'm no engineer.  I am however, very sciency inclined, but the extend of my physics is at a CEGEP level (CEGEP is like the quebec equivalent of the last year of high school/1st year of university).  So I know resistors, capacitors etc.  the basic.  If I were to go about this - should I do this on a small perforated board?  Finally, would I have to do one of these circuit for each fan or could I connect the fans in series at the end of this one circuit?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,671
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2010 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
The device far left of the bottom diagram is a 100K potentiometer.  There are 3 connections on it.  The middle one connects to the 10K resistor.  If you get the stuff from Rad Shack, let me know I can draw you an actual picture so you know which terminal of the pot connects to input or ground.  Also the transistor has 3 legs on it also.  The fans must be connected in parallel.  You may want to purchase a small heat sink for the transistor if you are going to be pulling more than 1/2 amp through it.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2010 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Temp switching may be easy using klixons (is that a trade-name.... ooops?) especially if rounded temps are suitable - ie, here we have 50 60, 70, 80 90, 100, 110 etc degrees-C klixons (about AUD$4-$5 each).
Klixons are merely a 2-terminal thermal switch capable of switching 5A.
They come in NO or NC (Normally Open or Closed) variants.
You'd probably use NO types so they close when above a certain temp.
You could (eg) have one for t-degrees for a "warm" fan, and another at (t+10) degrees as a "hot" fan. It might be one fan with "warm" = slower (series resistor), or 2 fans. (2 klixons with 2 fans is good for redundancy. And the higher temp klixon could be diode connected to the lower temp fan in case the low-temp klixon fails etc.)
If the fan is around or above 5A, a relay is required.
There are other low-current temp devices (thermistors), but they may need a relay to supply adequate load current.
y2j514 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2010 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
I have a day off on thursday, so I'll try to get supplies then. I like the idea of the fans going with speaker volume.
So fans in parallel with their negative leads connecting to the transistor. Their positive ends I assume connect to any 12v source?
Everything seems pretty straight forward, but just to clarify:
1M (to the right of the 1uf cap) is a... resistor? Finally, all the black arrows are grounds, correct?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,671
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 19, 2010 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
1M = 1 Megaohm resistor.  Yes all black arrows are ground.   The transistor connections are numbered.  With the transistor positioned where the writing is oriented where you can read the writing, left leg is 1, Middle leg is 2, and the right leg is 3.   The potentiometer has 3 connections, with the shaft facing you, and the connections on the top side of the pot.  Left connection goes to the speaker wire of the amp.  Middle leg connects to the 10K resistor.  The right connection connects to ground.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic