the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

remote start bypass module for gm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,791
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

If they flashed it with the ADS DLSL GM1 firmware, you should be all set.  Just download the correct guide and follow the Type 3 install.  Don't forget to set the Installation Mode as described on page 8 before programming it to the car.

Good luck!

Soldering is fun!
dwljpl 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2010 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks! It seems pretty straightforward now. I just need to figure out the connections between the remote start and the bypass module as far as negative or positive input triggers. I'm planning on not hooking up the shock sensor and the LED of the remote start since they are both on their own harness and the car has a factory alarm installed already. If they want the car that bad, they can have it!
Couple other things running through my head. I assume the process to start the car goes like this:
1. Press start button on remote.
2. Autopage remote start receives signal and sends unlock and disarm signals to bypass module.
3. Bypass module sends "key present" signal down the data bus from the programmed learned key code(?) when starting the car with the key.
4. Remote start then fires the ignition signal and since the data bus confirms the key is there, the car starts up and runs.
5. Tach wire tells remote start the car is running.
Is there a delay when you press the start button to when the car actually starts so the bypass module can communicate with the car to let it know it's good to go?
I was originally planning on tapping into everything at the BCM but after seeing the wire gauge on the remote start for the ignition circuit, I'm thinking I may tap in at the ignition harness on the dash. I haven't pulled the cover for the BCM yet but I imagine the wire gauges in there are pretty small.
I really hope the module comes programmed correctly. All the theory behind the install makes perfect sense, it's just the implementation and making it clean that worries me. :o)
dwljpl 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2010 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Looks like the idataLink is expecting a + ignition input as well. Ignition input from what? I assume that's the same connection that the remote starter is outputting?
Are the power and ground leads for the bypass typically tied right into the same power and ground feeding the remote start?
Sorry for all the questions! Want to make sure I'm not missing anything. :o)
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2010 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

On most R/S units the sequence is pretty much the same.  Yes, there is a delay between the remote button being pressed and the engine cranking.

Unless directed otherwise, the IGN input to the Bypass comes from the IGN wire at the ignition switch.  Of course you can connect it to the IGN1 output of the R/S if that wire is already connected to the cars IGN1wire at the ignition switch.  They are connected and therefore one & same.

Most R/S units have a dedicated connector with +12v, ground and (-) Status or GWR signals just for the bypass unit.  If yours doesn't, then you can tap into the R/S's +12v & ground wires that are attached to the car and connect the (-) Status to the correct wire on the R/S.

I would "hard wire" all the connections between the R/S and the iDatalink module instead of using the iDatalink connection. Its more reliable. That means making all the connections between the 2 modules that are in dashes on the Type 3 install guide and setting the bypass module to Standard Mode.  The polarity of the signals that the bypass module is expecting (black) or outputting (red) is marked in the guide.

Soldering is fun!
dwljpl 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2010 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
idatalink module arrived last night. I had no idea they were the size of a credit card... I think I'm ready to install now with two last questions.
I'm going to tap into the ignition switch rather than the BCM but power needs to come from the fuseblock I assume. I'd prefer to not tap into an existing power wire coming in from the engine bay. Where do you typically make the power connection for remote starts? At the fuseblock? Do you generally tap into a power lead or try to find an empty socket to tap into?
Last question, I took a look at the leads coming out of the remote start to the ignition switch and they're faily beefy with a 40 amp fuse. I'm assuming that since this cars ignition switch feeds the BCM and PCM, this isn't a high current circuit but rather feeds a relay in the BCM to actually start the car. Seeing the 40 amp circuit and thinking about that running into the BCM worries me a little. Is this so that the remote start would also work if it was installed into a different vehicle that used the older solenoid to start wiring? 40 amps into a BCM or PCM just weirds me out....
Thanks!
kreg357 
Posted: February 24, 2010 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

The +12 volt power for the R/S should come from the Red wire at the back of the fuse box.  The fuse box is under the dash on the passanger side.  You might have to extend the R/S's power wires to reach it.

The other wires ( Start, IGN, ACC ) you will get at the ignition switch.  Most R/S units only fuse the power inputs, and the parking light & the horn outputs.  It is safe to connect the heavy gauge R/S wires to the smaller gauge ignition wires in the car.  ( If your R/S fuses the Ignition outputs and it causes you concern, you could replace those fuses with a smaller rated amperage if the ignition wire it attaches to is thin gauge.)  While most of the older cars had heavy gauge ignition wires, a lot of the newer cars are going to thin gauge ignition wires. 

Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic