icon

lower load or more power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AL4^RuNNer 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2003 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

I am debating something which is better 2 12" subs getting 150 watts rms a piece@4ohms, or wiring them in to an 8 ohm load and running the amp bridged for 400 watts rms. The amp is on 2ohm stable in stereo therefore i cannot 2ohm wiring in bridged(protection comes on). So I need some opinions. Which will be louder?sound better?Most clean? Thanks for Info.

Nick

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry.......
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2003 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
You won't lose much SQ by bridging. The only drawback is you will be in Mono instead of Stereo (when bridging you usually will receive Left input signal only, instead of Left and Right inputs from the headunit). You'll get your amps max output when you bridge, and with what you specified you would be getting apx. 200watts/sub instead of 150.
Going from 150 to 200 watts will make it louder. But to answer the rest of you questions (sound better and cleaner) we need to know what the make and model numbers are of your subs and amp.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
AL4^RuNNer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2003 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
Well I was wondering about the bearing resistance has on it. I thought lower resistance louder music. or something to that effect. Pioneer GM-X972 and tsw305c. I was just curious?
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
You are correct. Lower ohms=less resistance=more power output(watts) and allows the amp to run more efficiently.
However, you are seriously underpowering your subs. They are 400RMS and 800Peak, yet you are only throwing 150-200 watts RMS to each of them!
Something else to consider is your amp is 400x1 bridged at 4ohms, not 8. It should still be stable, but you might not even get the 400x1 if you wire in series for 8 ohms.
If you just bought the hardware, I'd return it for a 400x2@4ohm or 800x1@2ohm amp. I think you got hosed on your amp, because you'll never see the 800 watts that it boasts. Sorry dude
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
AL4^RuNNer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
Yes I Understand the output I didn't really get hosed though cause I got a really good price on the amp. I am considering purchasing another of the same and running one amp bridged to each sub that would be exact power. The reason I went with it was because it is pioneer's most powerful amplifier i could find and In this particular vehicle all components match and they sound really well together. everything from the hu, tweeters, 6X9's, everything. So I was trying to stick with pioneer.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
Yea, if you got another GM-X972 then you would be right where you should be at 400 watts RMS per sub.
I used to think that having all the same components would be cool and sound really well together too. But I got tired of limiting my options, and realized that you don't have to have all the same manufacturer to get the best sound. Right now I have Sony (CDX-M610 Head Unit), 2 Pioneer 5.25" coaxial speakers (TS-A1365), 2 Pioneer 6x8 coaxial speakers (TS-A6867), 2 Rockford Fosgate RFP3412 HE subs (sealed enclosure), 1 Rockford Fosgate Power 500bd amp, 1 Kenwood KAC-649S amp, and a 1 farod ohm Rockford Fosgate cap.
I'd like to eventually have all Rockford, but I doubt it will happen
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
AL4^RuNNer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
Yes I really like RF stuff too, they were the1st subs I owned back in 1997. Now I have rf subs in two of my other vehicles, In my 1990 jeep cherokee I have two of the same subs you have 3412's and a planet audio amp P2100, a jvc hu, and sony 3way speakers. And in my 2000 Accord I have 2 RFz 2412's and rfp200s amp, aiwa hu, and polk speakers . I was trying to stay with pioneer in my 4runner and have done a pretty good job I have deh-7400 hu, 4way 6x9's, 2way 4's, 4 tweeters, 2 subs, and amps gm-x972(subs), gm-374(tweeters). My sister seems to want to stick with Kenwood in her 2000 cougar It has a kenwood excelon hu, amp, and subs. And pretty soon speakers and tweeters I'm sure.
AL4^RuNNer 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
So I guess what I was getting at was most efficient and best sounding way to run them for right now with the power from that particular amp. I couldn't find a higher power pioneer amplifier but if one is out there let me know. Thanks
wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds cool. Here's my "if I win the lottery and the whole world can kiss my a$$" system from Rockford...
RFX9420 headunit
2 FNX2514 5.25" Component speakers w/ silk tweeters & seperate crossovers
2 FRC4368 6x8" triaxial speakers
2 RFD2212 Power HX2 subs
1 Power 750x amp
2 Power 500bd amps
2 1-farod ohm caps
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry 'bout that, you posted while I was typing my last one so the sequence looks screwy!
Try bridging at 8 ohms. Since your amp is stable at 4 ohms bridged, an 8 ohm load should not hurt it. If it doesn't sound any better then you can go back to 1 sub per channel.
The only other amp I could find from Pioneer larger than yours was their GM-D500M. It's a mono amp stable @ 2 ohms and retails for around $320. Specs are...
300x1@4ohms RMS 600x1@4ohms Peak
600x1@2ohms RMS 1000x1@2ohms Peak
Since you have 2 4ohm SVC's, you could wire in parallel for the 2ohm load and throw apx 300RMS-500Peak to each of your subs.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic