icon

oldspark thanks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
akuhead 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2010 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

I just want to take a moment to thank all you people for having this forum. It has been a great resource for me and I really appreciate it. I've been working on this 32 Ford for a while and was having some issues with setting up both the alternator and the batteries. Oldspark was kind enough to be of great assistance to me via email and I want to publically thank him for his teachings and help. I'd have been lost without it. Thanks again.

Jim

Here's a pic of the alternator setup on the chassis. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area

oldspark thanks - Last Post -- posted image.

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2010 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Jim!
The experienced will be glad we conversed off-air.
"Non experts" may benefit knowing that several reads sinks it in.
Yes - my typical long writings. Obviously too long because the writings didn't stick. But upon re-reading it apparently made sense. (I have NOT as yet tested this claim.)
The Lesson - my writings are often "a lesson" - not a simple nor quick reply.
Next step - did I educate why (dash) ammeters are useless, and often "bad"?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2010 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  
Hear hear on the ammeters Peter, simple voltmeter(less wiring etc.) will tell you more.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2010 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Dare I expand?
Those with ammeters that do not realise they are cooking the battery, or have a flat battery?
The lovely cabin fires from shorted ammeter wires (unless remote shunts).
But some love them. Besides, they read that web-post that said the hazard with voltmeters is that you have to drag "all that power" into into the cabin. Funny - I use 50G wire, or thicker wire through a 100R or 1kR resistor! Wow - I never knew that was so much power! (LOL!)
But a voltmeter tells it all - overcharging, undercharging (at certain RPM or loads); the battery's %age discharge; aging battery (eg, during cranking)....
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2010 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Fond memories NOT of rewiring engine bay to instrument panel looms on London taxis when the ammeter cables would short we are talking 60s-70s British Leyland with Lucas accessories, 100,000 miles per year looms covered in oil etc.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic