the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1ohm stable amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone know if the Rockford Power 500bd amp is 1ohm stable? I know it's stable to 2ohms (which is how I currently have it), but I can't find anything (even in the manual) about anyone running one at 1ohm. I just blew both my RFP3412's, so I think its finally time for an upgrade. I really don't have the $ for 2 RFD2212 (4ohm DVC) or 2 RFD2112 (2ohm DVC) HX2's and another amp (either a Power 1000bd or another Power 500bd), so I'm faced with a delima.
Option 1
Get the 2 RFD2212's and run them @ 1ohm for now (praying the 500bd is 1ohm stable), and save for the second 500bd (then run 1 sub/amp @ 2ohms each safely)
Option 2
Get the 2 RFD2112's and run them @ 2ohms from my 500bd until I can afford the Power 1000bd.
Either way, in the meantime I'd only be pushing apx. 350watts to each sub (which are rated at 500RMS). I get nervous about underpowering subs if there is more than 100watts difference between the amps output and the RMS rating. Here I'm looking at 150watts minimum difference.
The subs (both the RFD2212's and RFD2112's) are 500RMS 1000Peak. 1 Power 500bd could push 1 RFD2212 (2ohm total load) easily based on the RMS rating of the sub, and 1 Power 1000bd could push 2 RFD2112's (2ohm total load) easily based on the RMS rating of the subs.
I can afford another 500bd quicker than a 1000bd (about $500 difference), but I'd be running at 1ohm in the meantime if I went that route.
I value everyone's opinion, and trust your judgements. I need some opinions!
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
go for the 1 ohms set up! if it won't take it it will shut down on its own. your probly a rf fan but there are other amps out there with more power at less $$$$ shop around. unless your stuck on rf
Big Dave
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
I'm a victim of my own demise, RF is the only way I want to go right now. I run other brands for my components and other amps, but I like having RF behind the subs.
Will the amp shut down, as in go into some kind of protect mode and still be operable with the proper ohm level? Or will it fry like bacon?
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged  
I'm a big RF fan when it comes to sub amps.  I used to run a Punch 500 at 1 ohm mono, the amp is only stable at 4 ohms mono.  If I was pushing it to the max every once in a while it would cut out for a few minutes as a protection circuit, but I still use that amp to the day.  I had it setup like for about a year, so I wouldn't worry about damaging your amp, but if you push to much current through it should just shut off for a bit.  The 500 I was using is an older model, so I can't guarentee how yours wil handle it.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input. I bit the bullet this morning, begged, borrowed, and maxed out the credit card. With trading in the 500bd, I was able to get 2 RFD2112 HX2's and a Power 1000bd for $1200! I gotta love my authorized RF dealer 1ohm stable amps -- posted image.
OMFG!!!
Thx again for the help everyone
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
you paid too much for that stuff. rf is a fine brand,  you might have found somthing on e-bay or others sites for a lot less maybe the same amp and subs. i am a dealer not a rf dealer i can't tell people enought to shop shop and shop around. I don't down any manufacturer they all fit there market.  Now if you are stuck on rf i think thats cool if you got the money , butt don't go broke on 1 amp and 2 subs. shop till you drop. do your home work. the extra leg work is worth it.
Big Dave
QuinnX1 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
What are you doing? You gave them a amp that is about 170.00 less than the new one you bought and you still turned around and payed about 250.00 to much not including the amp you gave them. I would go back to the shop and get my money back. Trust me I have done it before! I know you like RF, but the BD1000 is nothing special. I don't mind the BD1500. Look at it this way. 2 Kicker L5 and a BD1500 at that price would make you1ohm stable amps -- posted image., and that would've been a deal.
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
While I don't generally recommend buying anything off Ebay, I do know a few places where you can buy the stuff you bought for a crapload less. Most of the places are authorized by RF, so RF's warranties would still apply. I do think that you paid a little too much. If the shop is professional and value the customers, they'll let you take it back.
CTW
MECP Sales
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
While I don't generally recommend buying anything off Ebay, I do know a few places where you can buy the stuff you bought for a crapload less. Most of the places are authorized by RF, so RF's warranties would still apply. I do think that you paid a little too much. If the shop is professional and value the customers, they'll let you take it back.
     One of my favorite spots online can get you the same stuff for 1,000 shipped, or the 1500 with 2 HE2's shipped for 700. email me if you'd like to know the website. blazermedic@mchsi.com
CTW
MECP Sales
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Well, i dont know how much that model of subs run but a local dealer where im from sells the 1000bd for about $750 and the 500bd for $500. So the 1200 does seem high to me but we all know loaction location location makes a big difference. Yeah you can get them cheaper off the net but personally i would rather pay more for it from a local dealer cause if anything happened to it its going to be alot easier to deal with the local dealer than some other place that you would have to send the product to them and be without til the problem is solved. Personally i use Diamond Audio equipment which i bought from a local dealer, 3 yr warranty, and if anything goes wrong all i have to do is go back to them, let them take out the bad and put in the new, done deal and no fuss. I think thats worth the extra money.  Plus one other note, i know i'm way behind on audio equipment these days but i was always used to one main rule, you get what you pay for and back in the day a GOOD amp would be $1/1 watt. So used to be a power 1000 would run you a $1000. Does that rule not seem to apply anymore or what?!?! I know it applied for my Diamonds, actually paid more than a dollar per watt, but maybe im just stupid that way.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic