the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Ahh-- make it stop!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chkdsk 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2003 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

BumpNGlow wrote:
Also, you have to order 400 or more at a time :(
Ohhhh... Sorry Man, I didn't read close enough.Ahh-- make it stop! - Page 3 -- posted image.

I can't believe that something so simple is causing us all this brain damage...

BumpNGlow 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2003 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

Thinkster wrote:
O.K., so now I have an idea of what your hooking up. I see the unit has 12V Power Input and 4 Output ports. Are these output ports High Voltage or do the Neon Tubes your hooking up have built in inverters? Or should I say are the outputs from the Interface 12V or Higher?
And also, where exactly are you interfacing this relay? what function does the relay serve as I see no "trigger" or turn on inputs on the .pdf manual you refered to.

The output on the MI is a 12v+ and a -.  The neons all have built in trasnformers, but LEDs can connect directly (w/ a resistor).  The trigger on the relay is a - from the MI.

Thinkster 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
So let me get this right, each output port from the MI is +12V and GND. When music is playing, a different port becomes active (+12V & GND present) each time a beat hits or something. And what you want to do is trigger a relay from one of these output ports rather then a neon tube or LED? If so what is the relay driving or as I asked before, "where exactly are you interfacing this relay? what function does the relay serve"
I have a solution it depends on what you are doing and what kind of input & outputs your dealing with. Oh, and you don't have to order 400 and can probably get the stuff a Rat Shack.
BumpNGlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  

Radio Shack said they do not have a quiet relay, but I might stop by there today and look for myself.

If you go the the link I posted earlier it tells you most of what you wanted to know.

I am using a 5 pin relay to make the neons flash a little differently than they normally do hooked up to the MI w/out a relay.  When hooked up to a MI normally, the neons flash when the music gets loudest (normally a beat), and no lights are on w/ the music is quiet (the "quiet point" is adjustable).  Using a 5 pin relay I can hook neons up to the "beat" and another set to the "quiet" times.  It creates a cool effect but like I've said in previous posts, its too loud -- the relay clicks every time the music gets "loud."

Thinkster 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 3:25 AM / IP Logged  
If I had a diagram of your exact setup including your noisy relay, it would be easy to figure out what you need, but since most likely you are switching either 12v or GND, the drawing I made is for both a Negative trigger with a Positive Output and a Positive trigger with a Negative output. This solution is guaranteed to not make any noise as it is solid state. Hopefully you need configuration 1 as that paticular part is available at Radio Shack. If you do not understand this drawing, I can build one in a casing with leads for $10. I personally use this type of solution instead of Relays when possible.
Ahh-- make it stop! - Page 3 -- posted image.
BumpNGlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
I would use the bottom one actually, but my question is what part is Q2 TIP32?  Where can I get it?  I am interested in this now.  And does it have a Normally closed pin like the relay does?  That was the point of the relay.
Thinkster 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
TIP32 is a Transistor (PNP) Rat Shack used to carry a lot more components then they do now. A transistor that can handle the current I described should be pretty easy to get at a local electronics store or online sources like DigiKey & Mouser. They don't have a Normally closed pin, so to speak, as a relay, but they can be paired and perform the same functions as a relay assuming your just "switching" voltage (12V or GND). I can't help you any further though without your diagram or identifying what each pin on your relay is connected to and the voltage on each.
chkdsk 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

Thinkster wrote:
They don't have a Normally closed pin, so to speak, as a relay, but they can be paired and perform the same functions as a relay assuming your just "switching" voltage (12V or GND).

Thinkster,

This is pretty cool - I'm impressed. Ahh-- make it stop! - Page 3 -- posted image.

When NC is not needed in a multiple relay situation, this solution would save a pile of room.

BumpNGlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.suslow.com/neon/relay.html

this sounds promising man - thanks for the help thus far... its gonna be awesome to get this done.

Thinkster 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2003 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  
OK, now with that diagram & pinout, I can see what is going on. You need both a normally closed and normally open type output triggering from a ground with +12V on each output. Let me go to my drawing board and see what I can come up with. It will probably be two Transistors and a couple resistors & diode. How much current (Amps) will you require as that will depend on the selection of the transistors. Oh and it's not too hard to wire up as long as you can solder. Each transistor has 3 pins.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic