icon

Ahh-- make it stop!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BumpNGlow 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  

ok, well what I'll probably do then is get heat shrink for all of the pins, and mount them on a piece of wood as far apart as possible in my spare tire well (probably like 18" apart or something.

But basically I don't have to worry about a fan or anything crazy for cooling?

And do transistors add power like relays do?  Do they work under their own 12+ source?

(looking at the diagram they would have to seeing as how the trigger is a 12-, nevermind.)

Thinkster 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
The transistors do not have to be physically mounted far apart. They can be right next to each other, no problem. You just don't want any pins or tabs to be able to touch one another or touch ground somewhere on the car as that can short it out. You don't have to worry about fans as were not driving these like they would be in say an Car Amp circuit. "Do transistors add power like relays do?" I'm not sure what you mean. I've never seen a relay that Adds power. Unless you mean current, then yes, with a low trigger current, you can switch a much larger current through the Emitter & Collector Pins, just how a relay does with it's contacts that are rated for 30-40Amps. Transistors do not add power or have their own power. You are supplying +12V and Ground and the transistor is just responsible for switching that ON or OFF in this application.
BumpNGlow 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
yah, that's what I meant.  I just worded it poorly.  Thanks a lot man!  I'll let you know how it works out.
Page of 5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic