icon

The boss pd-4000 amp,Good or bad?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
caraudionewb 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Please tell me what you think of the amp.Also, if you can please tell me in detail why it is bad or good so your information can help me with my future questions on amps.
caraudionewb 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
I want to run my power hx2 tens which are rockford fosgate subs in parallel to a pd-4000 amp which is a boss amp. Is this amp to much for the subs or is it just right?
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
You can always turn the gain/level down. It's probably pretty decent for the money. Assuming the specs from the website are right (right...), the power is just about right. Assuming the specs from Boss are right. I would wait for a few more people around here to weigh in before you buy it.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

well i swear by boss amps i have run them for a long time with out a bit of trouble. your gonna have a lot of people on this forum will tell you what junk it is. but i think they are work horses. i have run the same amps for the last 4 years slammin hard day in and day out and they sound as good today as the day i installed them. the pd4000 may be too much power if you only have 1 or 2 low power handling woofers. now if your gonna run 4,5,6,8 woofers with good power rating. 500w rms or more then you will be ok. and remember what ohm load are you looking for? 4 ohm, 2ohm, 1 ohm, 1/2 ohm all of which this amp can handle. here is some stats, 4 ohm 500w x 2 rms, 2 ohm 900wx2 rms, 1 ohm 1500w x 2 rms, 1/2 ohm 2000w x2 rms. freq responce (+/-) 3db 9Hz to 50 kHz, signal to noise 105db, channel seperation 90db, low pass x over 50Hz to 100Hz high pass x over 120Hz to 720Hz bass boost 0-+18db bass boost freq 50Hz-100Hz. well good luck with what ever you choose. I am a Boss dealer but I will not sell to anyone on the forum some people think i'm just here to sell. only here to help.

Big Dave
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
Assuming you are referring to the RFR3110 Power HX2's, and the specs on the Boss site are correct, then the amp is a decent match (RMS wise anyway).
The RFR3110 subs are 1000RMS 2000Peak 2ohm DVC's, so wire Bridged at 2ohms and throw the 900RMS to each sub (assuming you are referring to having 2 subs, you never really mentioned!). You'll be slightly underpowering the subs, but you shouldn't run the risk of blowing anything. Here's how to wire two 2ohm DVC's into a 2ohm Bridged/Mono load...
The boss pd-4000 amp,Good or bad? -- posted image.
You could also wire in Stereo with a 1ohm load at each channel and throw 1500RMS to each speaker, but be careful not to have the gains too high with this type of configuration as you would be running above the RMS rating of the sub. Here's how to wire one 2ohm DVC per channel into a 1ohm load (each sub would look like this)...
The boss pd-4000 amp,Good or bad? -- posted image.
You'll never get the 0.5ohm load since (according to the Boss site) you have to be in a Stereo configuration (not Bridged) to get the 2000RMSx2. But that wouldn't be a good idea anyway since your sub's Peak rating is 2000 watts!
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  
lol...
invest your amp money somewhere else and be happy with your stereo...dont bother laying down cash for the Boss, it will ultimately end up disappointing you and leaving a bad taste in your mouth...
how much money do you want to spend on an amp and are those the exact subs you plan on running?
Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  
hrmmm...just visited the web site and noticed the good old folks at bossaudio.com dont publish the current draw of these amps...
how many people here realize just how much current you need to draw to make 4000W? I doubt the boss can draw half of the current necessary to make that kind of power...
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 5:42 AM / IP Logged  
it is a high current amp.
Big Dave
Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
define high current...using relative terms I could call almost any amp "high current"...
give me a number...is it fused? what is the fuse rating? I want to know the maximum potential currency draw this thing could extoll on my alternator...
aaronluvsbazz 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

I have a pd-4000... I couldn't resist the good deal...A month after I bought it, it fried itself, taking out its power supply and 3 output transistors. I sent it in, under warranty, and it took 4 MONTHS to get it back. It worked fine for a while, then one of the channels fried. I kept using the other channel for a couple of months, and out of nowhere it simultaneously fried itself, my headunit, and two subs.

It is fused @ 120 amps. For it to be able to produce 4000 watts w/ 120 amps, you would have to have 33 volts. And 120 amps is where the fuses blow.
     I now am running a Rockford bd 500 and it performs almost as well as the Boss. Some ebay stores are selling Rockford bd 1000's for around $350, about the same as a Boss.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic