icon

remote start, parking lights stay on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swindmiller 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2011 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a Crimestoppers RS-4 remote starter with a Fortin EVO-CHR in my 2008 Dodge Nitro. With this setup splicing wires is not required for just the basic remote starting. I hooked the t-harness up from the Fortin to the ignition harness and plugged the 2-way data link cable in to the Fortin and remote starter. Everything worked fine except the parking lights since I know I have to hook them up manually. Been using it for a few days and it works fine. In the Fortin manual it recommends manually connecting the ingnition1 wire from the Fortin to the Crimestoppers, I read others did not need to do this so I did not...yet.
Last night I connected the parking lights up by plugging in the 12 pin low current plug on the Crimestoppers (I assume I didn't need anything from the High current plug so it's not connected) and connected the White wire from the Crimestoppers to the WHITE/ Purple wire in the drivers kick pannel and the RED / Black wire from the Crimestoppers to the Red wire in same bundle of wires. Everything was working.
Today after work I remote started my car from the street (without being able to see it) and when I got to it the parking lights were on but it was not started. I tried again and it cranked for like a 1/2 second then stopped without turning over. Started it manually then after it worked fine...but I suspected the ignition1 wire :)
Tonight I went out and connected the 16pin connector to the Fortin and hooked the Yellow of the Fortin to the Yellow/Black of the Crimestoppers. Everything seemed fine although I could not verify the ignition1 connection since it worked but did not check the parking lights...was still daylight.
The only other thing I did was disable the horn honking when locking the doors which was built into the factory keyless entry. At this point I noticed the parking lights would not turn off :(
I tried reconnecting all of the connectors on the remote starter and Fortin with no help. I also checked the power wire I tapped into for the parking lights and think I may have had the wrong wire. The red wire I choose was the same gauge as the parking lights wire but tested constant. I found a lower gauge (thicker) red wire in the same bundle that tested constant so I moved it to that one although I don't think that would cause the lights to always stay on.
I also tried re-programming the Fortin and cannot get them to turn off. I finally disconnected my power connection for the parking lights since I wanted to leave the Crimestoppers harness on for the ignition1 connection.
I know this was long but wanted to give you all the details.
Any ideas??
Scott
kickergod 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2011 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
I assume the RED / black controls the polarity of the white wire from the sound of it (not familiar with crimestoppers) If so that sounds ok on the parklights. The Ignition from the remote starter should be connected to the yellow on the evo-char evem with the 2way data link (which by the way I do not trust data linking and have always hardwired after having issues with data linked installs) Although the issues were with Ultra Starts. Do you have a 12v power run or are you powering it off the evo? The install requires a high current 12v power and you said you did not have the high current plug connected? The extra draw of a positive parklight could be enough draw to cause it to not work correctly.
Ryan Edwards
MECP Certified Installer
swindmiller 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2011 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
This was a while ago but the unit turned out to be defective...relay was stuck. Returned and received a replacement and it works fine. I do not have the high current plug connected at all...just the power from the EVO and everything has been working fine.
Thanks for chiming in.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic