icon

wire keyless entry system for other use

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
You might have a cost factor involved but running a DC-DC converter might be better or cheaper in the long run to swap your servo for a 12 volt version.
If you put a resistor on both motor wires, I've a feeling it won't work, though for the cost of a resistor it's worth trying.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
Plan be would be to keep the keyless entry on 12 volts, reconfigure the lock outputs to neg, run a pair of relays from a 5/6 volt power source to the motors, that's the safest bet, see diagram:-
servo.bmp
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
It won't matter.
Resistors don't resist voltage, the resist current. You're keyless entry system is still getting 12vdc, it's just limiting the current to 363mA.
If you put a resistor on both motor leads it would be the same as putting a 66 ohm on one lead - reducing current to 181mA.
In an ideal scenario you would have a secondary 5vdc power supply (like a 7805) and then use NPN transistors to drive the (-) sides of the motor at 5vdc. A few more components but you'll be able to run the motors at their rated voltage without having to reduce their current.
Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2011 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for clearing that up Kevin, I KNEW that somewhere there was a reason for not using a resistor, apart from the fire risk, so effectively my diagram was correct, using the relays to switch 5-6 volts.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2011 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
In fact if it is a 6 wire internal relay driven unit, our poster might get away without external relays.
Could the poster give us the lock wires, colours and status please?
stone68 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
wire keyless entry system for other use - Page 2 -- posted image.
I hope this image post comes out right. I also have a video of it working at:http://youtu.be/dZ46dPnjlgU
My last question at this point regards the use of 1 resistor on the + battery lead or using 2 resistors (one on each side of servo motor lead)?
If my memory serves me correctly.... from the system I've wired as such: black to batt neg, red to batt +, pink and purple nothing, yellow and yellow/black to neg/ground, orange and ORANGE / black to pos, my servo motor one to white and other to WHITE/ black. I did not use relays. My resistor is currently inline to the batt + 5 Watt 33 ohm. Leave it here? is it the right size? or put two of them on the servo leads? Below are some specs on the servo (though it has been modified)
Please advise on use of proper resistor. FYI- the motors seem to be able to handle the full 12V car system but after a couple of turns the metal geared motors just destroy the inner gearing on the servos.
Again- thx much for help.
Control System: +Pulse Width Control 1500usec Neutral
Required Pulse: 3-5 Volt Peak to Peak Square Wave
Operating Voltage: 4.8-6.0 Volts
Operating Temperature Range: -20 to +60 Degree C
Operating Speed (4.8V): 0.19sec/60° at no load
Operating Speed (6.0V): 0.15sec/60° at no load
Stall Torque (4.8V): 42 oz/in (3.0 kg/cm)
Stall Torque (6.0V): 51 oz/in (3.7 kg/cm)
Current Drain (4.8V): 7.4mA/idle, 160mA no load operating
Current Drain (6.0V): 7.7mA/idle, 180mA no load operating
stone
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
We told you NOT to use resistors, it won't work, also a super fire risk if not fused.
Stop getting wrong ideas, read what K.P. and I wrote, take it in and your problem will be solved.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic