icon

head unit overheating

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phoenixkc 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2003 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

ok i got a '94 ford explorer. i put in a blaupunkt san jose reciever. i found out much later that blaupunkt head units are notorious for overheating. so i ended up burning out the cd motor and having to send it in for service. 4 weeks and $120 later i get it back. all is well and good till a week later and the motor burns out again. it is currently out for service again. i get it back in about a week. i desperatly dont want this to happen again. so can you guys give me any advice on cooling it? i looked through the site and couldnt find anything. if there's an article, please give me a link to it. any advice on developing a cooling sytem would be much appreciated. thank you.

tfrggy2003 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2003 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

I would say at the expense that it is costing you to have you head unit fixed that you should just invest in a new one honestly. As far as Blaupunkt having problems with over heating I have never experienced this. I have installed several hundred into customers cars and have never had this problem.

Save the Drama
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
If you can fabricate a mount, they make 12v fans (like what's inside a computer). Installers have used these before when building amp racks (especially if the amp is enclosed in something) to regulate airflow. You might be able to install one somewhere around the headunit to help disapate some of the heat or keep air flowing around the headunit
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Thinkster 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
If the unit is notorious for overheating, I would suspect some other component to go out first besides the motor. If the motor keeps going bad, I would suspect something to cause this like mechanical binding or improper voltage or something like that. Also, you said $120 later, was that what you had to pay for repair? If so, I would have invested a few dollars more and gone with a Pioneer, Kenwood or something.
trdgts 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
i know this is prolly not the answer youre lookin for, but if it's $120 to repair, i say next time the thing goes out on ya, use that money for a new deck!
phoenixkc 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  

thanx for the advice. but i thought i'd better clarify. i was an idiot and bought the deck on ebay. so when it went out and got repaired, i got a surprise. they wouldn't give it back to me because it wasn't under warranty as it was bought on ebay. i didn't plan on spending $120 i had to. this time around the service was free cause it was their fix that broke. so yeah, you're right. i should have spent the money on a new one but i didnt. now i'm looking for a way to keep it from breaking again.

it sits about 8" above the heating/ac control unit. and during the winter (in rochester) it got pretty hot. and as it shares the same airspace as teh reciever, which was also getting hot, that whole area was  a furnace. i expect a similar problem in the summer. either the weather will be too hot and raise the ambient temperature. or i'll have the ac running and the control unit will again be hot. so what i'm looking for is a way to coll down that area or at least the case of the reciever. those fans sound like a good idea but i need more info. where to mount them on the deck? how to properly exhaust them and the such. the wiring won't be a problem for me so no need to lecture there. just information on the  placement and attachment of the fans would be most helpful. thanx again.

wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
There's not much to it. All you need to do is mount it so that it drafts the hot air from around the receiver. I wouldn't really worry about an exhaust, and I wouldn't mount it directly to the deck either. The fan units can get up around an inch thick or so. If you could, I'd mount it about a half inch to an inch away from the receiver, again drafting air away from it (the receiver). It sounds like the receiver is putting out a lot of heat, and it has no where to go. Thats why I said draft the air away. If that doesn't work, then reverse it (blow air on the receiver). I'd be careful with that one though, because then you would be forcing air (along with anything else that hops on for a ride) directly onto, and possibly into, the receiver.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 5:31 AM / IP Logged  
if it's right above the a/c duct, then maybe you could just poke a small hole in the ductng and let the a/c blow over the receiverhead unit overheating -- posted image.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
That will work until the winter, and then the heater is used. Then you would have the same problem, only amplified due to hot engine air being blown onto the unit. I had thought of that too though, until I remembered how cold the winters got in the North East! head unit overheating -- posted image.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic