Tinning a soldering iron

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TomEllis 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Mr_Kite wrote:

Well i got one guy tellin me BLACK/ burnt is bad and it wont "take" solder.  Yet another says some will turn black but that dosent matter. lol

If the TIP is black, then it will not take solder. If the solder turns black, then it is ok.
Like said above, heat the iron up, clean it on a WET sponge, add the solder to the entire tip, and let it cool. This is the best way to keep the tip clean and reasy to use again.

Way back when i took electronics, before i ditched it every day : ), i was taught to heat the wire and touch the solder to the wire, because if i touched the solder to the tip it would burn and ruin the tip.  So how does "tinning" differ so that it dosent burn and ruin the trip?

I do not know how far back you mean by way back then, but if they were talking about solder that had an acid core, then yes it would ruin the tip. The solder prefered today uses rosin core and will not ruin or eat the tip of a soldering iron.
I hope this helps answer your questions, please let us know if we have confused you further.
Thanks,
Tom
Tinning a soldering iron - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
JasonL 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
Mr_Kite wrote:

Well i got one guy tellin me BLACK/ burnt is bad and it wont "take" solder.  Yet another says some will turn black but that dosent matter. lol

Way back when i took electronics, before i ditched it every day : ), i was taught to heat the wire and touch the solder to the wire, because if i touched the solder to the tip it would burn and ruin the tip.  So how does "tinning" differ so that it dosent burn and ruin the trip?

I think you are confusing two different things. The first guy said you need to clean the tip before/during soldering, otherwise you can't solder properly. The 2nd guy said when you are storing the iron, the tip needs to be covered with solder to prevent oxidation. Both are true.
As for actual procedure; I use a wet sponge and wipe the tip until it is shiny. Put a small drop of solder directly on the tip, then touch the tip to the bottom of the wire, and the solder to the top of the wire. You put solder on the tip so it can make good contact with the wire. Be sure to clean frequently... after a while, the hot solder sorta turns sticky...
Hope that helps.
Mr_Kite 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replys!  I thought i knew how to solder lol....  Tinning a soldering iron - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

So I need to make sure the tip is covered in solder by melting solder directally on to tip.  And if it turns black its ok because it is rosin core because it will not ruin or eat the tip.

Perhaps I got a whack tip....   It dosent seem to get hot enough and i thought that was because of the black solder burnt on the tip.

Tomorrow ill go to Home Depot and buy another tip.

TomEllis 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Mr_Kite,
You might be able to clean the tip you have and get it tinned.
with the tip cold, use some scotch bright to clean the tip, use a light touch, just enough to take the surface black off of it. Then, heat up the iron and apply some solder over the entire tip, Turn off the iron and let it cool with the solder still on it. After it cools down completely, You are now able to use it like it is supposed to be used, just be sure that you keep solder on the tip every time you turn it off.
Using this method, a tip will last you a long time and be ready to use each time it is heated up.
Good luck,
Tom
Tinning a soldering iron - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Mr_Kite 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

ok i cleaned the tip lightly and then heated it up and tinned it by applying solder.  the solder rolled around the tip and it was covered in a light film.

The i tried soldering a wire.  The solder wouldnt flow to the wire,  and the tip turned dark black.

I dont think i can learn how to solder so im gonna dump the butane iron and use some sort of clip.

Thanks Guys

bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
Before you give up, try using a different soldering iron .Something inexpensive like a 40 watts iron from Radio Shack. Practice with it and when you get it down then try it on your butane torch.If the tip is turning black you are either using to much heat or the wrong solder (get some at Radio Shack while you are there). Also try using really fine solder like .025 .It's easy to control the amount you are using so you don't put to much the joint. And like everyone said all ready keap the tip clean.
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
Before you give up, try using a different soldering iron .Something inexpensive like a 40 watts iron from Radio Shack. Practice with it and when you get it down then try it on your butane torch.If the tip is turning black you are either using to much heat or the wrong solder (get some at Radio Shack while you are there). Also try using really fine solder like .025 .It's easy to control the amount you are using so you don't put to much solder on the joint. And like everyone said all ready keep the tip clean.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic