the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1993 ford tempo remote starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
One more thing I noticed. It appears that that unit may be adaptable for both a standard and automatic transmission. See if there is a loop or wire to cut, or a programming option that you have to activate / cut / alter in order to bypass the manual transmission sequence.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
mattrourke 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2011 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
the writing i have crossed out is for glow plugs. There is a loop of wire on the unit that would make sense if it were to be cut in the event of a certain type of transmission. The manual which pretty much consists of the 2 pages i sent you does not mention this wire loop at all and also doesn't mention a neutral safety wire either. How would i know if the wire loop needs to be cut for auto or manual? thanks again for all of your help.
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
Its a tough call, but I would say to cut that loop. On every unit I've ever seen with a loop, that loop had to be cut for an auto trans. Worse comes to worse you can solder it back together, its just a little bit of a pain to strip the wires. I would go ahead and cut that and see if it works. You can also check on the back of the actual brain in the vicinity of that loop and see if it has any labeling in the actual brain.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
mattrourke 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2011 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
getting closer!! so i cut the wire and now it receives the signal and the parking lights flash 3 times slowly which indicates it did not detect a tach signal. should i have 12v coming from the tach wire at all times or just when it's running?
offroadzj 
Posted: December 26, 2011 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
neither. The tach signal should register as an alternating voltage depending on the rpm. Connect your tach wire to any odd colored wire on one of the coils / injector. You will see a common wire between each injector / coil, and one odd colored.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
offroadzj 
Posted: December 26, 2011 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure to program the tach signal once you get it connected.
I am heading to bed now but if you still need help come morning I'll be back. Good luck with everything.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
armbruster 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
TACH      TAN / YELLOW (AC)      @ IGNITON COIL
mattrourke 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
i originally had it connected to the tan / YELLOW at the coil but no luck so i switched to offroadzj's suggestion of picking an odd color wire. same light flashing sequence indicating bad tach signal. The tach programming seems to have gone off without a hitch though.
offroadzj 
Posted: December 26, 2011 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Try changing the programming to voltage just to see if it is indeed the tach signal. If so then go back to the tach and see if there is a tach threshold on the unit. You may need to change that setting.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
mattrourke 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
I was unable to find a voltage setting in programming. I have tried changing the jumper to both normal and high threshold. when i check with the multimeter i get between 11 and 13 volts reading from the tach wire.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic